XMAX 250 electrical issues

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by David Goodman, Apr 4, 2019.

1. David Goodman

David Goodman New Member

Hi,
    Was riding my 2008 xmax the other morning (first time inithe rain) and suddenly lost all electrics. Dash went dead and lost break lights and indicators.

However engine kept running until I found somewhere to pull over a few hundred metres down the road. Once I turned the scoot off it wouldn't start again and no power to the dash at all when turning the key.

Fuse not blown, so does anyone have any ideas where to look?

Cheers

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Assuming the battery is okay, verify the function of the main relay. I'm not sure where it is, so you may have to go digging in the bike's electrical schematics to figure out which one is the main relay and where that relay is located. You can test it by just figuring out which lead is the lead to close the relay (not the one that powers the loads when the relay is closed), and connect the battery's positive terminal to it. Just be sure to secure your test lead to the relay before attaching the other end to the battery - you don't want to short it to ground. If the relay fails the test, replace it. If the relay passes, check the continuity of the ignition switch.

AndyS likes this.
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I would guess the battery. Or battery ground, or fuse connection.
    Possibly the ignition switch. Has someone tried to steal it at some point?

4. David Goodman

David Goodman New Member

Thanks for the help, mechanic found some damage wire in the loom and has fixed. All seems to be running well again! Fingers crossed it stays that way. Cheers

milo2025 likes this.