Worth doing A1 licence test?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by MrSkeedle, Aug 27, 2018.

1. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

Turning 17 very soon and getting a 125cc. Wondering weather its worth doing the a1 test, or just keeping my CBT. For me it would be pretty handy being able to carry passengers as i have many friends interested in bikes etc and cannot afford. so yeah basically i wanna carry my mates around hahah. Being able to nip onto the motorway is obviously a benefit but 125cc long distance is a complete no no. but hopping down a couple of junctions could be helpful around where i live. L Plates removed, i dont care to be honest, but of course its another small benefit.

Also, would it give advantages to me in the future as i 100% will stick with bikes, and eventually get my full licence. Would this help to get my proper licence and can it significantly reduce the price of insurance for now for me?

Also, what is the total cost going to be to do the test roughly?

thanks guys!

2. BigHeavy

BigHeavy Member

Rides:
    Kymco AgilityCity125
    Short of it is, no it isn't worth it.

But then it's down to you. Nothing is really going to change, you just lose your L plates and can take pillions which on a 125cc isn't fun. Assuming you've been riding for almost a year, you've obviously coped with not being able to hop on the motorway and you've coped with not taking a pillion. Do it for another 2 years, get some more road experience and get your A2 done when your 19.

Insurance won't drop much if any at all.

As for cost, your looking at anywhere from £500-£1,000 depending on how your local training schools price things. Most instructors would tell you to wait too, its a waste of money because you'll only be paying it again when you want to upgrade to the next stage.

3. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

Yeah, defiantly cost thats going to be the negative. Trying to think if it would help me at all in the future when i do my real test? I will obviously need to learn before i do the test, so this could mean i just have to re-do the actual test when i turn 19, which isnt that expensive right? how much is the actual price of like theory+mod1+mod2?

because then yeah i am still spending like £500 now, but when i turn 19 i dont have to spend AS much. but im also saving £120 on doing my cbt again when i turn 18 right? Because if i do this test when im 17 i dont have to refresh my cbt?

Thanks again

4. BigHeavy

BigHeavy Member

Rides:
    Kymco AgilityCity125
    lets just try to break it down here.

going off of what my local training school charge WITHOUT test fees -
    A1 = £650
    A2 = £650

Then if you add test fees - theory = £23 mod1 £15.50 mod2 = £75. so either one would cost £763.50.

Assuming you do A1 and pass, when you turn 19 and want to do A2 it won't just be a case of hopping straight on a big bike and doing the test, you will need to learn how to handle a BIG bike properly, they're completely different from a 125cc on both power and weight. The riding style changes dramatically.

So you'd need to pay the course fee again of £650 plus a mod1 and mod2 (theory just carries over if you've done the previous step) so it'll cost an additional £740 instead of just the one hit of £763.50. If you did A1 and A2 you'd pay out £1400-£1500. Obviously, course prices differ in areas and with instructors but that's around what they charge.

If you want to spend that sort of money, cool go for it. but my point is, why do it all twice. doing another CBT and waiting until your 19 is still going to be a good £450-£550 cheaper than doing A1 then A2.

I looked at doing it the way you want to do it when I was 17 and decided against it because of the cost and safety factor, forking out that much to do so little extra just wasn't worth it to me. I did A2 earlier this year and now ride a BMW F800ST as well as my little 125 kymco scoot.

5. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

Yeah i understand. Alot of money and time for not much benefit. Thanks for the help bro!

BigHeavy likes this.
  6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Im a little confused with all these categories, but I did my full unrestricted test a few years back, its great to just be able to get on any bike, and ride anywhere.

7. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

no I'm talking about the test you can do when your 17. it's the one that literally allows only 3 things. carry passenger, no l plates and motorway use. still only 125cc. full test is of course worth it. this a1 maybe not