Which drive belt?

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Saracen, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Saracen

Saracen Member

Hi,
    My Zip 2T, 2009 really struggles going uphill. I've had the scoot for about a year and during that time I have had plenty of help and good advice from forum members. The Zip is fairly standard with just the variator restricting sleeve removed.
    Getting to this stage I have checked the carb and transmission and dealt with any obvious issues, cleaning, replacing the defective reed valve and stripped the variator and clutch for a check over. I tried a set of lighter rollers, 6.5 gms, and this made things worse so I swapped back to the original 7.5 gms. Whilst working on the transmission I noted that the drivebelt was indicated 713mm long. However upon checking online parts sellers I found that many listed standard belts as 732mm and generally performance belts were shorter. I have tried searching for original parts but they don't give the length, just a part number.
    So I was wondering if getting a longer belt would help the performance uphill.
    Please excuse me if this is a silly assumption as I am very much on a learning curve and would like to resolve the problem in a logical manner.
    Thanks,
    Graham

2. Saracen

Saracen Member

Morning,
    Sorted. Contacted a supplier of genuine Piaggio spares and it was confirmed that for my frame number, the standard belt should indeed be 732mm long. I'll get one and even if it doesn't help getting uphill at least it'll be the correct component. Getting there slowly.
    Thanks,
    Graham