Whats the diffrence between series 1 and 2 125cc engine?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by jusspb, Nov 19, 2011.

1. jusspb

jusspb New Member

Well i would like to know, whats the diffrence between 125cc piaggio engines..
    I know there are 2 diffrent series, but which one is better and why?

2. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

Air cooled or liquid cooled?

Air cooled the newer ones have caliper mounts and a larger rear drum. Slightly more of a pain in the arse to work on as you have to remove the clutch nut to take off the transmission cover.

Liquid cooled hardly any difference apart from the clutch nut.

They are both perfectly good. The only reason to get a older engine would be air cooled conversions as you can fit more rear wheels to a old shape.

3. jusspb

jusspb New Member

I read something about series one engine have bigger stretch on the crank, and all the cranks won't fit, cause of small spacing or smth..
    I have 2 engines AC ZAPM.. (im makeing it 172cc) and CSM (stock, for sale)
    So i wanted to know which 1 is better or smth..:D
    Im soon going to buy an 125cc LC engine also.. (that one should have 2 timings in the ignition??)

4. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

There is a very old casing that runs an old crank. It's only found in extremely old engines and may even only be air cooled as well. They have a different transmission casing (which can be changed to a newer one so you have no idea) and are only found on very few bikes.

5. jusspb

jusspb New Member

Well then i dont have that kind of engines:D Cause i mixed up crankshafts.. better one went on my 172cc project and fitted correctly.. Soon i will make a post for my scoot also :)
    Thanx Terro