What variator to buy??

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Petey, May 22, 2017.

1. Petey

Petey Member

200 vxr runner .. want variator plate or if have too the hole unit.. bought bms replace plate twice now in past 5-6 months and the teeth keep wearing down, making bike slip..
    What's best to buy? Something that will last and not a waste of money

2. Petey

Petey Member

MALOSSI Multivar 2000 £120 Or
    £130 Variomatic Variator Polini 9 Rollers

Or a cheap option???

3. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    The teeth wearing down won't make the bike slip, or do you mean belt? The genuine Gilera parts work fine and will last.

4. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

If the teeth on the fixed pulley are wearing either you are not getting it tight enough or the crank has damage and in that case all you'll do is continually chew up any pulley half you put in.

5. Petey

Petey Member

Well the plate spins behind the front bit, and the nut is tighten to nm.. crank teeth look ok to me tbh and if crank needs replacing that a costly big job lol so new pulley and put up for sale lol put love the bike it's mint so it big a big decision to make

6. Petey

Petey Member

Got and email some posted on here but post isn't here lol
    (Gilberton)

Yes it's the outer pulley.. and teeth have worn, I can spin it freely with finger behind the outer case, can take photos if easier.. but I might take the hole unit off and take photos of shaft see what people think, weather it's damage or not.. I'll take photos when finished work

Cheers guys

7. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Yeah sorry I meant to edit it and had to do something else at home so it never actually appeared.
    Basically I asked to clarify if the outer pulley teeth were getting worn.

8. Petey

Petey Member

No worries mate appreciate your time

yes its the outer pulley
    Done two since owning the bike for around 5-6 months

9. Petey

Petey Member

They were cheapest ones I must say..
    That's why I'm thinking weather a known brand would be a better option

10. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Ok then that is definately your problem.
    The question now is why are the teeth wearing? If the nut is done up tight then the outer pulley should not move as it presses against the bush or spacer which in turn forces it against the rear. I'm not sure if it goes through to the bearing or the rear plate on the variator? But anyway it should all be tight.
    I'm wondering if the nut (although tight) is not actually pinching the pulley tight enough eg is there a washer missing?
    Anyway it may be academic until you can determine if the splines on the crank are worn or not?

11. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Re the cheap ones it's possible I suppose but the teeth usually only wear if the outer pulley can move cheap alloy or not.
    I don't even check the torque on mine I just use a rattle or air gun and never had a problem yet.
    It might be worth trying leaving the belt off and refit one of the worn pulleys and fully tighten the nut and see if you can move it at all?
    Even without the teeth it should still be difficult to move if at all. It's usually the nut coming loose that allows the belt to turn the pulley and undo the nut which causes the wear. If that makes sense? lol

12. Petey

Petey Member

Yeah it makes sense mate lol.. I've put red Lock tight on so don't think nut would loosen. And there is a washer in there it sits in the plate it's self there a cut out for it if you get me.. nothing else moves free if it doesn't move the belt and clutch moves with it and wheel.. I'll take pics

13. Petey

Petey Member

Teeth gone on front pulley completely.. like just gums lol

Attached Files:

14. Petey

Petey Member

Picture of shaft doesn't look good but thinking might be able to file groves up abit..

15. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Hmm doesn't look good. Even if you file it with needle files(which won't be easy) you've lost the depth or height on the splines and you can't replace that.
    Are spares for these easy to find or even another engine?

16. Petey

Petey Member

Well a crank you can buy off internet but looking at around £200, not rich but would pay it, its more to the fact of having to split the engine in half completely, have to buy gasket set to replace gaskets, replace bearings more then likely, plus it's a four stoke so will have the chain and aww it a lot of work lol

An engine 200cc is like gold dust as every one buys the engines to put on the 125cc registered bikes..

Really don't know what option to take lol, even if I put in workshop to replace crank so I wouldnt have to do the work ill probably be looking at a £400-£500 bill, when a runner vxr 200 goes for £1300 max makes you question is it worth it, other than this issue bike it mint condition and a lovely bike to own as I've owned many runners before 50cc and two 125cc one two stroke and one four stroke.. and the 200 is gold comparing to silver plated steel lol ohh I don't know what to do haha

17. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

I don't think they are that difficult especially when you don't have to split a gearbox like a bike.
    Could you reduce a workshop cost by taking the engine out yourself and stripping off the exhaust fuel system etc.?
    It's got to be worth a new crank if nothing else?

18. Petey

Petey Member

Yes it worth replacing crank but just don't want to pay out end up digging in to the engine to have to pay out more if you get my drift lol.. I'm capable of doing it it just the time and money, leaves my asking myself is it worth it lol

19. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Will another Leader engine fit as fitted to a lot of Piaggios?

20. Petey

Petey Member

Yeah many 125 180 200 250 300, but probably at around same price as a rebuild just look at engines so it a chance buying 2nd hand engine could be worse than what I got now haha