What oil can you use for foam air filters?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by yammyspy, Apr 19, 2017.

1. yammyspy

yammyspy New Member

Hello,
    So I ordered a new air filter for my ped and I've been reading into all sorts of air filter oils that are available.
    Can you use any oil for an air filter? On my ped it is only a thin and quite small piece of foam and buying an aerosol or bottle seems pricey for something that size and for something done occasionally.

Am I going to have to bite the bullet and pay out for the proper stuff?

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

3. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    i have a huge can of airfilter oil , its going to last me a lifetime so i will never need to buy another anytime soon.

the filter is thin and small BUT its does a job like no other, it gets dirty quick and if its not treated with oil that dirt can be sucked past the filter over time and into the carb, it then builds up in the carb and causes problems, at the same time some of it enters the crank case and it starts to wear down your bearings, when these fail its a costly repair to replace them in a shop and time consuming.

the oil acts as a secondary barrier it helps to bind the dirt and dust and keep it inside the filter ready to be released when you wash the filter and clean it, something that you should do around 3 times a year. doing this washing keeps the filter in tip top condition and also helps keep your engine and carb clean to ;)

it may not seem worth it but a full rebuild on a scooter engine inc replacing bearings can run upto £500 in labour costs around 6-8hrs work at £50 an hour labour thats like 400 then throw in the parts cost its eyewatering. and all for the sake of a £10 can of filter oil so yep its well worth the tenner :)

4. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

You must use proper filter oil, fleabay is cheapest way to find some at an affordable price. As already said, its important to use it as it catches dust and crud. Wrong oil just drips off or gets sucked in. When you use filter oil you will see the difference, its like spray glue, really sticky.