What octane rating.?. + 2 more.

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by Mark Emerson Trentham, May 1, 2014.

1. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Something for all (100/125+ / 4 or *2t)-(tuned or std.)-
    what octane petrol,do you run your 'ped on.?.,
    #2.*what 2t oil.
    #3.transmission oil.

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Std unleaded most the time, occasional full fat, Putoline TT sport or Rock pp2, sae 80-90.

3. ginge

ginge Active Member

Is there much benefit on a 4t 50 father inlaw reckons he gets better speed from that bp ultimate but ive ran it on standard shell for past few days and noticed no difference at all...

4. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    all down to compression ratio... no road spec scoot will ever need anything more than standard unleaded... dont waste your dosh

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    oh ye, motul 800 2t (best stuff ever) and the 125's run 85w90 in the gearbox, 50's run 80w90....

4t you can use any engine oil you like, non motorcycle specific is FINE (they run a dry clutch, so the oil cant strip the plating like in a motorcycle) so best you can afford in whatever rating the manufactor sudgests...

6. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    I've really got to brush up on the black gold+,nowadays alot different from old-
    used to be / get yourself a bottle of 2t + 10w40 standard an you were king of the road,now-
    it's like you've got to a scientist.o_O.

7. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    <------- Worked in the oil industry for 25 years

@ Mark

Get some synthetic engine oil. a 5W/30 synthetic will make a quite a difference on a cold start by drawing less cranking current to move the oil around and use less energy overall compared to traditional mineral oils.

Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntron 0W/30 or similar would be even better and none of these would sacrifice high temperature performance. The oil SAE and API oil specifications are bascially obsolete and get wierded out by synthetic oils, that's why you get 0W oils that were never foreseen back in the '30s and '40s when these specs were drawn up.

Synthetic oils also degrade less so you can extend the oil drain interval if you want.

My TKR2 will be getting a decent 2T oil such as Rock Oil City 2 Plus fully synthetic and Rock Oil Scoo Gear API GL5 75W/90 fully synethetic gear oil for the final drive. I'm not doing a full rebuild on it, only to cheapskate on the lubricants at the end of the job.

8. 2many2strokes

2many2strokes suck squeeze bang blow thats the way i like to go!

Rides:
    zzr1400
    bikes all run nicely on standard 95, the brick has to have super 97 with two bottles of octane boost per tank otherwise the greedy shit pinks under full boost :( woldnt mind if it did more than 15 mpg on a run:(

9. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    15 mpg.:eek:,
    cheered me up,so ya have.:).,
    was well pushing it ,if I managed 35 per tank on melody,V/C....put £5.65 in tank / as was flashing on 1st ride on way home-
    just passed 50 miles this morning,still have 1/2 tank,so looks like +100miles per tank.:)-
    i'll suss out better figures next time.
    Ordered some Silkolene for the transmission (relay box),take it for a run+replace maybe,as only seen top up plug,have'nt looked for a drain yet?,apparently some have / some don't....

10. 2many2strokes

2many2strokes suck squeeze bang blow thats the way i like to go!

Rides:
    zzr1400
    x9 gets 220-230 miles per tank so that gets used the most for obvious reasons:D