What is the best way to restore gilera runner vx panels?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by typh-gilly99, Jan 23, 2018.

1. typh-gilly99

typh-gilly99 Member

Rides:
    Typhoon 125 2T
    I find respraying gilera runner panels makes it looks tacky and its better to stay with the originals, however i am in two minds as my panels have various scuffs, scratches etc and dont know whether to spray with cans, professional paint job or to just leave.

2. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Spraying will only look tacky if done poorly. Look at some pictures of similar bikes and get a good idea what you like. Rub the panels down to lose any top gloss and provide a good key. Use fine body filler to softly fill deep scratches or build out scuffs and lightly sand to a smooth, shaped finish.
    Use a primer to coat the panels, smoothing the final coat with a gentle 2500 grit just to make it feel smooth. Spray your colour coat taking care to follow advice online then clear coat over. Finally choose your graphics wisely, maybe get a full set of original ones for your model or copy a picture from a bike you like.
    The quality is down to your patience and care. Doing your own will cost around £60-£80 .