What happens if your caught with a sports exhaust

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by James zip, Mar 8, 2019.

?

Can they take my ped on the spot

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. James zip

James zip New Member

Hi today I was out on my piaggio zip 502t I had stopped for a little to talk to some pals and while we was talking a police car pulled up and asked to do a quick inspection on my ped and my friends ped I knew that I was not allowed to have my sports exhaust (stage 6 pro rep) since I’m only 16 but I just let him check he said that I wasn’t allowed it and that he could take the bike off me and that the police would be becoming a lot harsher about this in the next few months are the police allowed to take my ped off me on the spot?

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

If you declare any modifications to your insurance company and the scoot has MOT, tax and so on they have no grounds to seize it. I doubled checked this with my sisters boyfriend - he's a traffic cop, so the policeman who told you that is telling you porkie pies! :D

3. James zip

James zip New Member

Can you still be insured with a sports pipe even when your 16?

4. milo2025

Being 16 shouldn't make a difference if the exhaust is road legal. However if its not road legal sadly they can seize your ped on the spot and impound it but that would be pretty harsh - normally they would give you a warning and / or fixed notice penalty

5. James zip

James zip New Member

Ok thanks the exhaust is road legal so I will tell the insurance and see how much it goes up by

6. milo2025

And yes you can in theory but not all insurance companies would do that, its up to them ultimately if they refuse insurance or demand an exrea premium. That's why I would advise declaring it or it may not be worth the risk you see...

7. milo2025

yeah nice one good luck :)

8. James zip

James zip New Member

Do you know how much the extra premium would be?

9. milo2025

That I don't know but could be a far bit because of your age - sorry mate

10. James zip

James zip New Member

Alright pal thanks anyway

11. milo2025

Good choice of bike by the way - I love those zip 2 strokes, they're great fun to ride and pretty nippy as well

12. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I told my insurance years ago I had a "after market" exhaust as the original was so expensive and I just needed an exhaust for the mot, it was a pm 55, insurance was the same price !

13. AVF

AVF New Member

At 16 you are only legally allowed to ride a moped, which by definition can go no faster than 30mph. Having a derestricted sports pipe on your bike at the age of 16 is illegal. You cannot legally ride your bike as it currently stands at the age of 16 as it is no longer classed as a moped. This is regardless of whether you declare it to your insurance. I would say the copper who spoke to you was correct, you could also have your provisional licence taken off, get a hefty fine and a ban (based on UK law that is).

Coltie likes this.
  14. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Unless your going privately road racing,always check that your exhaust is BSAU stamped -
    If you are riding a bike on the road without this - it's a no-no,as well as not declaring even a road legal exhaust - if you are not qualified to have it.;).