What do you wear on your noggin while riding?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Rockin'EZ, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Rockin'EZ

Rockin'EZ Active Member

Rides:
    '08 GY6 150cc
    I spent a few years working in an Emergency Room, so I have a preference for full face helmets.
    I personally bought a HJC full face helmet called a "Blaze" or some other crazy name. I bought it because I have a cro magnon sized noggin. I make Neanderthals look good in comparison. The $160 USD HJC was the one that fit my head, so I bought it.

I caught some crap from a guy with a $500 Japanese helmet. We compared certifications. Same. His had a custom finish, so it must be safer.

What do you wear? Do you have to wear a helmet where you ride? Are you crazy enough not to wear one even though you may not have to? Full face, or just brain bucket?

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Helmets obligatory over here,always worn full-face.period,
    Only time i'd consider else,(open face)would be caning it in countryside,cafe racer or bike with drops&pipe + goggles in order to do the japanese fighter pilot thing on two wheels,that would pretty much symbolise my riding style in it's entirety.:) .

Rockin'EZ likes this.
  3. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    I had a kevlar/fibre glass full face arashi for a few weeks.got it off eBay for £3.20.large but not good for wearing glasses so got a cheap £40 flip front plastic one.all stickered up with the legal safety confirmed .younger days,the law changed a few months before my 16th birthday so have always had to wear one..before then,pillion and hooning around...no helmet...oooh ive hit my head so many times on just about every surface..im amazed im still alive.if the helmet law was abolished..ide be tempted to go lidless but it makes sense to wear one.just don't see why i should have my RITE to choose taken away.im India at the moment and i don't ride with one in this town,the next town you need one...have to take it to be legal.

Rockin'EZ likes this.
  4. Rockin'EZ

Rockin'EZ Active Member

Rides:
    '08 GY6 150cc
    I hardly ever wore a helmet until I was about 25 (and met my future ex-wife). I too am lucky to be alive.
    I did actually break a helmet on a curb after punching the side of a Dodge. Now I never leave home with out one, or a armored jacket. That elbow and spinal padding works. Come to think of it gloves. I have hurt my hands in falls more than all the rest of me combined. No wonder they are hard to use now ;-)

5. Rockin'EZ

Rockin'EZ Active Member

Rides:
    '08 GY6 150cc
    Also love my Kevlar mesh jacket. Took a dive last summer and ruined the same jacket, but I lost no skin at all. I bought another one immediately. Mesh so it lets the air through on hot desert days. Hard to keep the gear on when it is freakin' hot unless it is mesh.

6. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    got a nice white flip front jobby with removal bluetooth headset for when i can ride again.
    £45 on ebay. and £80 for the bluetooth headset. never ride without all the gear anymore. full face/flip front helmet. good pair of gloves. i wear a high vis bomber jacket (had a few of the make i buy that are good when they go down the road), kevlar jeans and some bloody good walking boots for scooter. alpinestar boots for when im on geared. wouldnt ride without it all anymore. getting some nice waterproof stuff soon.

Rockin'EZ likes this.
  7. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Future ex-wife,damn.all most leaked a little on that one,long term rentals me.;).,
    Jacket,jeans,gloves a must,boot-,avoid steel toe caps as hard surface skimming off them hits a nice soft bit.,gravel rash is a bitch...certain parts of my body.if I stay out of the sun too long,glow from scar tissue..............

8. Rockin'EZ

Rockin'EZ Active Member

Rides:
    '08 GY6 150cc
    Hell Mark I am 60. At 25 she was a future ex-wife. Neither of us knew at the time.....

Good leather boots with ankle padding is good. Steel toes... Not since I was a warehouseman in the '70s.

I have pieces of asphalt still coming to the surface 30 years after I ground off part of my kiester on Interstate 5.

The hell with getting old is you are the sum of all the stupid shit you did in your youth ;-)

9. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Could'nt talk 'bout MY ex's,they'd bar me from this site.;).,
    I am a warehouseman- forklift/counter balance,
    you burned your butt...with me was knees-
    had most of my left grated off in the 80's.avoiding a jay-walker (only tattoo I have,courtesy of a melted plastic car bumper it caught on.),
    And i'm 45 going on 15+3/4's.:D .

Rockin'EZ likes this.
  10. Rockin'EZ

Rockin'EZ Active Member

Rides:
    '08 GY6 150cc
    I am 60 going on 15 so we are equal. Our brains still think we are young, and we can ride. That is what counts.

I do worry about my knees now days. No padding in Kevlar pants that would protect the knee. I have been thinking about knee pads a lot. One part you can not do without is the patella (knee cap) that part comes off easy in an accident. Seen it more than once in the ER.

I had to prep people for surgery. One guy and his old lady came in with damn little skin left on them from a high speed spill on the interstate. I had to shave the pieces of skin, that were attached, and still had hair. Never forgot that evening. Sometimes you don't get to sleep after a shift in the ER. Mostly why I went back to school to learn to make stuff.

Riding pants are hard to ride in during the summer in the desert. It is usually summer here, even in January it is often over 75f. I need a pair of Kevlar mesh pants with knee, hip and butt armor. So far I have not seen any.

Warehouseman... My favorite job. I can drive circles around the youngsters in the warehouse on a forklift.
    I see them having problems moving a pallet into a space.... I ask " can I have a try?" They laugh and say if you have an OSHA license, so I show them mine. Then I angle that pallet in and angle the forks, in she goes.

Just like you would do. The youngsters just look with jaw slack. That old engineering bastard can drive a lift, and can slide a pallet in we can't.... Freakin' eh this old man can drive a forklift.

I don't trust a person that drives a forklift trying to look through the forks. I was trained to always drive backwards so I could see, and drive. The youngsters... you can spot 'em early enough to keep out of the way.

11. Rockin'EZ

Rockin'EZ Active Member

Rides:
    '08 GY6 150cc
    Warehouse accidents. Pierced lung with a fork
    Tipped electric order pickers. Pickers work 20' up. Usually bad JuJu if they can't drive. OSHA requires a picker to wear a belt. They don't usually die, just $hit themselves.
    Guy on the forks 20' off the floor with no safety belt makes a big splat. Usually dies while everyone around absorbs the lesson.
    Steel toed shoes stapled to the floor with a forklift. Toes = goo.
    Don't get anywhere near light equipment if you don't have to. Most operators are stressed and have little time to do a lot.

Warehouseman, cool, but skilled job.

12. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Seen armoured jeans over here,last I heard were running £50/60 ,worthwhile looking into in future as would like to go mucho 'barn-find' rebuild on a large bike one day,for hitting the long but twisty's out countryside way...early hours,list mist(wistful look/moan).:).,
    Chance be grating something other then cheese if I came off at speed(sheep/cows,cowpattie,etc.),
    Knee injuries can be a beeeeeatch,long recovery,daily chemical treatments to inhibit growing flesh,etc......... Got too see a s...load of nurses everyday,mind.;)..
    Does'nt matter what the weather is,gear goes on each time,reasonably lucky weather's fair over here-
    one of the main's,why I left stateside,stuff like 90% at times like 12 midnight,has to be cold when I sleep,two-legged furnace me/even sitting down.:).,
    Early-ish days for me/reckon,on FLT,only qualified proper sept.13,reckon i'll be a champion of the cause 1 day,it's a good reliable little no.,
    Got trained by a cranky old irishman up north London......with a wry sense of humour,he was solid gold/i was'nt.....'bout the time I decided to use the ns for commuting,WITHOUT fully understanding the principle of 'bedding' a re-cycled long stayer back into service(now that's a story for another day.!.),
    He was strict,but fair.routine embedding a mantra,2 main :-
    #1.keep you're fekking eyes open (specially for 2 legged zombified f... - ups).
    #2.you've got 2mm left,ya pansy.
    as I was trained almost exclusively for close aisle work,
    Took me months.... to get over the habit of looking everywhich where but inside my own body when even crossing the road for instance,
    can still hear a door crack open at 1000 yards as well :D.
    We've got ITSSAR over here,B1 counterbalance.

Rockin'EZ likes this.
  13. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Biggie when training:-
    Mousetrap,had it drummed in....STAY on the b....y forklift.!!!;).

Rockin'EZ likes this.
  14. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Other biggie,
    don'nt touch my forklift.:) .

Rockin'EZ likes this.
  15. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Catch ya later,gotta prep.for the Melody's sendoff in an hour.:(.,ciao.

16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I have a,nolan classic modular, use the chin guard on big bikes and take it off for mopeds

17. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    That brings back memories.:).,
    one of my 1st helmets was Nolan-
    it was black,fair price & if I remember rightly had that cool duck-tail styling.

Rockin'EZ likes this.
  18. Rockin'EZ

Rockin'EZ Active Member

Rides:
    '08 GY6 150cc
    The Duck Tail never caught on in the U.S. thankfully ;-)
    I do love trying to figure out our common language.....

I must sound a bit funny to you as well.

You guys across the pond are alright.
    Thanks for putting up with me.

19. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i got it because it is a good safety rating and got a great deal, the stupid duck flick at the back looks dumb

20. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Mine was cheap too,an was younger.;) .

Rockin'EZ likes this.