what cdi

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Nubsey, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Nubsey

Nubsey Member

Rides:
    Honda sky 50.
    Hi again all. I have just got my wiring diagran for my jonway madness 50cc. as I have to rewire the cdi as the old one has been chopped off, does it matter if I use a 6 pin cdi, or a 4 pin plus 2 pin sort. I have looked on e bay and a pit bit set up is suitable as it has a wiring harnes and would make life a lot easier.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wiring-L...832057?hash=item2156011439:g:WKEAAOSwlTZcj1eH

This is the sort of thing I mean.

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Me again. I think either should be fine, as long as it has 6 pins in total. Scuba or Mark, you could confirm this is correct please?

3. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Chopped off....how many wires are you working with ;).

4. Nubsey

Nubsey Member

Rides:
    Honda sky 50.
    Hi Mark, Thanks for showing up. Yes chopped off. Chopped off in their prime. I suspect in total I am dealing with about 9 wires, but there are 5 wires which I think are for the cdi. I will put a photo on the site when my grandson comes around, and shows me how to get them of my phone. Milo has managed to find me a wiring diagram, so hopefully that will help in identifing where they should go. All the best Nubsey

5. Nubsey

Nubsey Member

Rides:
    Honda sky 50.
    As Promised here is a photo. Notice the sort of blue wire and yellow wire in the top left side of photo. Then the five wires in the middle just below the connectors. Also the two wires that are on the red block above the carb. All good fun.
    PS this took bloody ages to do because the stupid computer won't do as it is told.
    Worse than my grandchilden throwing a wobbly

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Hmmm you have 2 types of cdi, ac or dc.
    Ooracing do a load of different types with various ignition curves.

7. Nubsey

Nubsey Member

Rides:
    Honda sky 50.
    Hi Scubabiker, had a look at the wiring diagram, and it is an ac type, as it goes nowhere near a battery. It is also the two plug type, but I have a one plug type on order, so will be doing my first conversion on it.
    Never thought about it befoe. But thats possibly why some bikes sound like a heavy rock band. LOL

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Fun fact, if you put a 4t cdi from a Honda c90 on a 2t speedfight (same plug) the speedfight will start and run backwards

9. Nubsey

Nubsey Member

Rides:
    Honda sky 50.
    Isn't it easier just to push it backwards. Now look what you have done. I will now have to work out why, as all starting methods start the engine in the right direction.
    PS I assume that 4t equals 4 stroke and 2t equals 2 stroke.

10. milo2025

Affirmative!

11. Nubsey

Nubsey Member

Rides:
    Honda sky 50.
    Well the package arrived today. It's amazing that you can get a CDI, coil, spark plug lead, on/off switch, spark plug and wiring harness for the princely sum of £ 7.85 including P/P
    Just hope all this stuff works out ok.

12. milo2025

That is dirt cheap, you did well there.

13. Nubsey

Nubsey Member

Rides:
    Honda sky 50.
    Thats the wonder of EBay. I have seen the exact same deal at walmarts in the U.S. for $33.

14. Darren.hall1985

Darren.hall1985 New Member

Hi did you ever manage to rewire cdi as im in same situation as someone has hacked the loom and cant find a wire diagram and have no spark regardless off how i wire it