Wet centrifugal automatic

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by FV43576, Apr 17, 2020.

1. FV43576

FV43576 Member

I got bored of UK Lockdown three more weeks to end of Lockdown. I was service my Suzuki CS50 Z 1982 50cc at home, I took the gearbox cover off to inspection to make sure everything is ok, the metal magnet quite a few of metal debris I have clean it, the gearbox oil a bit dirty debris at the bottom so I have fresh clean the gearbox, but the clutch number two at end of near wheel one of the plate pads look like 12 spoke a very worn on surface of pads. I have replace a new.

How long goes the wet centrifugal automatic do last? how many miles? the scooter was my dad and pass to me five years ago so I am not sure how long it does? the bike now done just over the 35,000 miles mark is a quite lot of miles for 2 stroke engine.

The oil on Haynes book said recommend 20w/50 that was 30 years ago now all the oil are much improvement but now I no longer find them easy on market, the next level is 20w/40, do you think the 15w/50 will be fine? I live in UK during the winter most of times when is frost morning my clutch feel like a stick and does not function well till the oil become warmer would the 15w/50 solve this problem?

Thanks

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Use 20w40.
    15 weight will be too thin I think...

FV43576 likes this.
  3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Let the bike warm up before you ride it. This will make the oil thinner as it gets warmer.
    Different oil will not make much difference as the bike has older materials with different specifications to today's materials.
    For instance the clutch surface on a 30 year old bike is much different to the clutch surface on a 2 year old bike, so you have to treat it differently.
    She's an old girl now and deserves to be treated gently and with patience.

FV43576 likes this.
  4. FV43576

FV43576 Member

Thanks I will use 20w/40, you know I have no patience in the morning before go to work!
    Have a good day.