Water in Petrol / Kickstart

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by milo2025, Apr 8, 2019.

1. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Folks, anyone ever replaced a kickstart retaining collar? - I want to attempt it myself as not only fed up of paying £60 ph labour at my local garage but even if I wasn't I can't afford. This bearing in mind I have very limited experience/knowledge working on scooters. Had a look on youtube with limited success. Cheers! (Bike in question speedfight 100 and no I don't possess a workshop manual.)

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I saw this on another one of your threads.
    I don't understand what they mean by a kickstart retaining collar. The only thing that retains the kickstart in the case is the circlip that can be seen from the outside, behind the kickstart lever itself.
    Does your kickstart work?

milo2025 and scubabiker like this.
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah what Steve said.

4. milo2025

It didn't before but it does now, just got back from the garage where they supplied and fitted a kickstart pinion pin while I waited, all for the princely sum of 36.25, but more bad news - the bike strongly pulls to the right, probably because the handlebars are bent; it needs new front pads, cables need re- routing (another possible reason why it's on a death wish to turn right) and the rear shock has no damping. They were amazed the dealer I got it from put 12 months MOT on it with no advisories. And riding home just now it's badly bogging down when I accelerate, yet it was fine before they fixed the kickstart - possible coincidence there. So it's going back in on Thursday for all these issues to be fixed while I go on the hunt for a 2nd mortgage. On a happier note (always the optimist) once it's all fixed I'll be chuffed to bits.

5. milo2025

No longer jerking upon acceleration - these intermittent problems leave me confused . com. Still, can't complain.

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Could have just been some water in the petrol?

milo2025 likes this.
  7. milo2025

I'm sure you're right there (I hope!) No further problems (touching a seriously large piece of wood) :cool: I'll get them to have a quick look tomorrow anyway as it's going in for those other bits and pieces I mentioned. I heard some folk say these Peugeots can be slow off the mark, but I'm amazed for a 100cc how fast I can't get away from the lights and zoom way past the traffic easily up to 60mph and beyond. Shame most of Cambridge's roads now have speed limits of 20. I have a letterbox size number plate but never been stopped yet - famous last words. Sooner they get the underground metro network system they are proposing the better. Traffic is absolutely dire. Which means there are loads of scooters, and pushbikes are literally everywhere. Even the yellow and red ones operated by the council are just left unlocked and abandoned for someone else to use and do the same in another part of the city. It works very well actually because they are all gps tracked. Bike theft is a huge problem I've had loads stolen and many end up in Oxford, but no one seems to nick the local authority owned bikes. They look naff anyway. Council operated scooter scheme - now there's an idea ..

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    scubabiker likes this.