Warming up a 2 stroke Piaggio Typhoon 70

Discussion in 'Scooter Guides' started by Typh70., Mar 29, 2017.

1. Typh70.

Typh70. New Member

Im new to peds and i have recently bought a used 2012 piaggio typhoon, the bike is in great condtion and it has a leo vince zx pipe on it, a mallosi crank, mallosi 70cc kit, polini transmission, mallosi gear up kit and a mallosi tc controller and a couple other bits. It had a larger carb and a foam filter (no sock) on it, i had to change these back to stock airbox and carb due to how unreliable it was making the ped i couldnt ride in rainy weather at all. So after sorting all of that out the bike fouled 2 plugs in around a month, i took it to a garage to get it checked out he said he put a new plug in and he turned down the fuel so it will foul less. Currently the bike is riding fine but im unsure how to warm up this bike, its not an average ped as it has all the race parts on it, do i just hold the brake and rev? If so how much do i rev? Do i rev just enough to keep the bike running or half/full throttle. Ive also had people telling me to just start it and ride however the ped doesnt move until its warm, until its warm enough for the powerband to start engaging it moves very slow no matter how much i rev. Also how long do i warm the bike for? Any help would be appreciated,thanks.

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Welcome Typh70 to the scooter shack.

best way to warm your scooter.

grab your gear, ie stick your boots on and overtrousers, then grab your jacket - gloves - helmet ..... take a walk to the scooter and start it up, now while its just sitting and idling start to get your gear on, slap on your jacket, strap down your helmet, slip on your gloves ........
    now do your electrical tests , rear brake light ( front leaver and rear leaver ) make sure it works , both indicators , double check they work,
    side lights - main beam - high beam. make sure they all work even if your not going to have them on JUST CHECK EM , better to know they work than find out via Mr policeman pulling you over, check your L-plates are still fitted ........

so all the pre checks have been done, your all geared up and guess what your scooter has sat idling for about 5 mins ...... pop it off the stand roll he/she onto the rode and sit astride it, check your mirrors , give the throttle a couple twangs ... give throttle a couple more twangs , now pull away , you may find she has not built much heat up so just go easy for the first 200- 1000 meters then slowly wind that throttle on.

Best way to pre warm your scooter even if its a 70cc kitted scoot or a bog standard restricted. its always good to get a little heat into the top end before your start going balls to the wall ;)

Bigjimknickers likes this.
  3. Typh70.

Typh70. New Member

Ok thank you for the reply, i have tried this and it worked great however i cant leave the bike idling while i put my helmet,gloves on because it just dies or the revs start to slowly build up until its quite loud( not sure why it does this i was told it was because of the amount of aftermarket parts it had) . So what i do is put all my gear on and sit on the bike, rev it just enough to keep it running do all the checks. After about 4-5 mins i rev a little more and then take off and take it slow like you said. But will keeping the bike idling at very low revs build gunk up on the spark plug?

4. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    No typh

the sparkplug will be fine , over time you will get used to your scoot and how it runs , we all have this close connection with our machines. we know when they are not running right or when they need some care way before the mechanical signs appear, be it a slight splutter here or a bog down there. idling the scoot is a better way to care for the bikes top end your not forcing a huge amount of heat into the cylinder and head right from the word GO.
    your allowing your cylinder and head to soak up some heat and allowing your piston to expand to all this is great for your little scoot its going to help prolong your top end big bore kit .

Sparkplug fouling : most of us small scooter owners and even large bike owners have a sparkplug stashed away on the bike somewhere , a spare plug for just in case, over time the sparkplug will get a little fouled up, thats the nature of burning oil and petrol , the soot produced sticks to your pistons top ( piston crown) and inside your exhaust outlet and the exhaust itself, but also it builds up slowly on your spark plug over time just like in a car / or truck .

But yes a 5 min warm up is good for the scoot, even if it means you have to leave 5 mins early to school/work or just popping out your doing the best for the scooter and giving it plenty of time to warm up and get some heat.

5. Typh70.

Typh70. New Member

Ok thank you for answering my questions!