Want to buy a Scooter 125CC

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Jan Jacobs, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Jan Jacobs

Jan Jacobs New Member

Hello,

I'm living in Belgium and want to buy a scooter for running around my hometown, go to places not more than 150 km from my home and will NOT travel on highways but use local roads since i like country side for photo shooting (I'm a landscape photographer). First I wanted to buy a 50 CC, but this is too slow, only 45 km per hour and you must use bycicle lanes outsite the cities in Belgium. Driving license is not an issue, I can drive from 25 km bikes upto heavy motor bikes.
    I did some investigating but I'm still struggle what to pick. Maybe some people here on the forum can help me to give some feedback.

Here is my list of candidates:

1. SYM GTS 125I
    Really like this scooter, it drives very well and the dealer is only 5 km from my home and has a very good reputation, it comes with 5 year warranty or 100000 km. Price around 3500 EURO. The only bad thing is that the mirrors are not well placed.
    2. Yamaha NMAX 125
    Nice scooter drives very well and comes with ABS, dealer is 25 km from my home and has a good reputation, is priced around 3000 euros and comes with 2 year warranty.
    3. Kymco X. Town 125I Exclusive
    Very nice scooter, comes with topcase etc... 2 years of warranty and is sold by same dealer as Yamaha. The price is around 3800 euro.
    4. Honda PCX125
    Have not driven yet, dealer is around 40 km from my home, price is around 3000 euros with 2 year warranty.

Are there any other candidates that I should consider?
    I'm not a big fan of retro scooter, therefore Vespa is not on the list, the only I would consider is the Peugeot Django 125cc Alure.

So any feedback is welcome.

Greetings
    Jan

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. SJDaggers

SJDaggers New Member

I have a Honda pcx 125 and I love it, it’s comfy, bigger than most scooters and has more power, overall a great choice but I also might be a little biased lol :p

3. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

All are good bikes but I would go with the pcx or the nmax.

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

As already stated above, all decent scooters.
    I think the 5 year warranty would sway my opinion, and the distance from you to the dealer, provided you do not intend to fit any tuning parts that is, keep it standard.
    You will of course have to adhere to the dealers/manufacturers servicing schedules to keep up the warranty, and I would have a close look at what is and is not covered under the normal use and fair wear and tear options, obviously things like tyres and brakes/discs and other consumable items will not be covered.
    The mirrors can easily be raised with add-ons or changed completely to your satisfaction, and with the addition of a top box it could easily carry your camera gear.

5. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Pcx is good (only had it for a week,went well/though.
    Saw a Django the other week & frankly for a bike that was probaly only a couple of months old - plastics were'nt holding up well.

6. Jan Jacobs

Jan Jacobs New Member

Thanks for your feedback.
    I'm not intending to do some tuning parts and keep it standard. For the warranty you have to follow the maintenance schedule; every 1000 km oil change, every 6000 km spark plug, every 12000 km CVT belt change. Have also looked what is not included in the warranty and this of course tires, breakes, in some cases discs and not following the maintenanace schedule can cause some issues when you have a failed engine, engine part. Today I went for a test drive with the Honda PCX125 and it drives and handles very well, but my prefered sofar is the Yamaha and the SYM. The SYM is of course more expensive than the Yamaha but comes standard with a windshield and passenger back support. It can hold two helmets under the seat. The dealer will throw in an extra top box for storage of 33 liter for free.
    Here is the URL from the scooter, of course in Duth http://www.sym.be/nl/modellen/scooter-100-125cc/sym-gts-125i
    Will go again for a ride next week if possible since we are going to get some snow here in the coming days.

7. Jan Jacobs

Jan Jacobs New Member

Thanks for the feedback, and I tried the Honda today and it drives very well, but my prefered sofar is the SYM or the Yamaha. Will further investigate and search the web for issues/problems with the 4 mentioned scooters.

8. Jan Jacobs

Jan Jacobs New Member

Thanks for the feedback, and I tried the Honda today and it drives very well, but my prefered sofar is the SYM or the Yamaha. Will further investigate and search the web for issues/problems with the 4 mentioned scooters.

9. shane2k

shane2k New Member

only issue with sym if you broke a panel well you after buy a new one not many people sell second hand spares

so if i was you is ask dealer if you for a example had a side rear panel badly damaged could they get one if not don't buy the sym

10. Phil@Notts

Phil@Notts Member

Other than a secondhand 50cc Suzuki moped about 20 years ago the only other bike I've ridden is the PCX125 (purchased brand new Sept 2016) and I've loved every minute (except that black ice I hit 2nd Jan 2017 but that was my fault unless I can try to blame Honda for making such an enjoyable ride).

I did ask to test ride the NMax & PCX but I was fobbed off by both main dealers and prefering the Honda I called the head office who arranged a test ride about 30 miles away. I took it out, loved it and ordered new all the same day. But that's me...

I'm contemplating taking by Direct Access (unrestricted) later as I want to go further with a little more umph (for safety and utilise motorways) although last Aug I did do a round trip on the PCX of 170mph with very little difficulty but I'm unsure whether to keep the PCX or just part-ex

11. edmund

edmund New Member

Had my 125cc Django Evasion 2, years now - all warranty issues sorted now so use a great place in Haverfordwest - Merlins Motors.
    Nearest Peugeot dealer was Celtic Scooters at Waterston and the owners attitude annoyed me so won't go there ever again.
    So back to the scooter - Really quite good now with new Avon Tyres & a Scorpion exhaust fitted by Merlin who also did a 2800 mile service.
    If you can get a reliable Peugeot dealer, go for one of these. They are a great looking bike, quite fast - 67mph and sound great with the Scorpion minus the DB killer.

Attached Files:

12. Shamgar81

Shamgar81 Member

Rides:
    Honda Pcx 125
    I can second the pcx 125 I have had one about a year and absolutely love it.