VXR200 oil presure

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Bikesinbits, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Bikesinbits

Bikesinbits New Member

Rides:
    VXR200, SCV100
    Hi all, my scooter seems to be developing a weird problem, It is a 200VXR with 50K k’s on the clock and mildly tuned. Its an all weather machine doing about 200kms per week. The issue is that the oil pressure lights comes on briefly when I come to a halt. Its not every time, but most times. It goes out again after 1-2 seconds. The bike still runs strongly with no knocking or other issues. It is almost as if it is suffering from oil surge, but its never done it up to about 1000 kms ago. I have pulled the oil pump hoping I might find some explanation to the behaviour, but I haven’t. The oil and filter are changed every 1500km and in recent years I have always used Motul oil.
    I am a 50+ year old hooligan who should know better but capable of stripping and rebuilding the motor. I am a little loathed to do it unless I can come up with some logical reasoning behind what is happening. I would hate to spend time and money doing a rebuild to have the same thing happen on the first run out. I did wonder if the revs were dropping as it stopped, but it doesn’t sound like it is. Does anyone have an explanation? Does anyone know if there is any type of pickup in the crankcase that could be lose? Nothing comes out with the oil pump.
    Any thoughts appreciated

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Mine did it on idle when the mains/big end started to go, I chucked some additive (zx1?) Which helped for about 6 months.

3. VadimNRG

VadimNRG New Member

sorry for my bad english :(
    did you open the front variator before this problem start?
    in piaggio 4t engine there is a press plate between front variator and oil pump,
    thats why you cant start piaagio engine with out variator, the oil pump dont work

[​IMG]number 14 press on oil pump, if you dont close the variator right the oil pump wont work right and only when you accelerate the red oil signal disappear.
    another thing its the oil pressure censor from the other side of the engine check the connection of the censor number 27
    [​IMG]

scubabiker likes this.
  4. Bikesinbits

Bikesinbits New Member

Rides:
    VXR200, SCV100
    Thanks for responses. I did wonder if was the first signs of the mains going. Did you change your bearings Scubabiker?
    I have had the variation off VadinNRG. If that was the case though wouldn't the oil pump not work very well when the engine is cold? The oil light goes out within a second when the bike starts from cold. The wiring to the oil pressure switch is new, the ignition pickup coil failed a few days ago and I have changed the coils and pick up as one piece.

5. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Unfortunately you can't replace main bearings as they are Factory fit only ! Good 5w-40 fully sinth oil only. You could try fitting a new oil pump as it fairy easy to get at or try a thin washer/ball bearing under the pressure relief valve, this would as it says, have a higher oil pressure before it opens. It was a trick we used on A series mini engines. You find the relief valve in the oil sump, it's a spring and steel sleeve.