vodaphone mclearn aerox project *FINSHED*

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by steve w, Aug 9, 2009.

1. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox
    Re: vodaphone mclearn aerox project

Cheers mate still a long way to go tho lol

2. gregzzz

gregzzz New Member

Rides:
    nrg

looks sick mate cant wait to see the rest

3. Burns

Burns Active Member

Rides:
    Aprilia sr50

You worked out where is going red? and having decals?

how ocme your selling it? its a minter! unless your after another project? keep it up though your work is good :)

4. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox

hi mate yeah am 90% where it is going to be red and have decals but ive just got to finalize the final points

yeah i am after another project once this one is completed.i just havent got the room in the garage to hold all the bikes i want to do because of are race bikes.

5. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox

sorry for the lack of updates this week lads just been so busy havent had the time to write the next update but hopefully i will get time 2mo to do it.

6. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox

Body Work Fitting

Part Two; Rear End

The seat that come with the bike was in good condition with only a small rip in it so instead of buying a new seat cover I decided to repair it so after a tripe to the local furnishing shop to match the seat vinyl, I got a free sample witch I used to put over the rip also some of the sponge was missing so I put some new sponge into the seat to pad it out as you can see from the pictures it worked a dream and you can hardly see the repair. Also I gave the seat a good clean and polish.

[​IMG]
    Before

[​IMG]
    After

I was going to buy some rear carbon indicators but decided to keep the original ones I gave them a clean and a bit of polish to bring them back to life , the original rear light that was on the bike had one of the mounting points broken off , I looked around on ebay to see if I could pick another on up but as time was getting on I still hadn’t found a decent one so I brought a new Lexus light and was planning on taken the Lexus lens off and putting the original lens back on but after putting the Lexus light on the bike and seeing how clean and smart it made the rear look I decided to keep with the Lexus one. When I got the body kit I was surprised to see that it came with an under tray as I wasn’t expecting it so i put that one on to keep it colour coded. With the number plate and L plate I just gave them a clean and got them looking like new and did the same with the mounting board.

[​IMG]

With the seat panels I thought they would need some work doing to them to get them to fit which turned out to be right.Where it curves at the back it was hitting the rear light so out came the grinder again to take a bit off each side and giving just enough room so it wasn’t hitting the light and putting pressure on the seat panels ( as you can see from the above picture the lines where just right around the light).Also when I put the grab handle and bracket on I noticed that it was hitting the seat panels as well , not a lot but enough to put pressure on the panels which I didn’t want so after some filing and cutting it around the grab handle bracket I got it to clear the rest of the seat panel went on nicely.

[​IMG]

I brought a new carbon tail piece as it goes with the theme of bike and gives the rear end a more racer look but this did need some work doing to it as it didn’t clear the grab handle properly so it then wouldn’t seat right so I cut it around the grab handle but making sure I didn’t cut too much off so doing a bit at a time which does take longer but you get a better look which I have archived has it just seat over the top of the grab handle so it looks like one now. Am now thinking of putting some carbon sheeting over the filler cap to blend it in , but more on that when I do it.

[​IMG]

The engine cover was about the only piece that went on with out having to modify it to fit lol. When I first looked at the panel I wanted to fill the air vents in with ally mesh so I done this and I think it just set it off and again goes with the race theme.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Complete rear end

The screws that am uesing are ally button head ones brought from screw fix as i find they look nicer.

I havent got time atm to wirte about the front end and the rest of styling but i will be posting that up in the next few days just bare with me thanks.

7. Rick-UK

Rick-UK New Member

Rides:
    Runner 200

I got the same screws for all my pans
    Good job mate, still waiting for a pic of the full bike, i guess it's a surprise :p

8. PrettyDodgyDave

PrettyDodgyDave Member

Rides:
    Runner 180

:cheers: This really does look good

(Never ever thought id say that about a rox!!) its soo clean :D done it proud matee cant wait to see the outcome

9. adz452

adz452 Member

Rides:
    Vespa T5

very nice mate, not a rox lover but this one is very nice.

10. gregzzz

gregzzz New Member

Rides:
    nrg

wot size are they all. (screws)

11. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox

hi Rick-UK i will be posting a picture of the whole bike on the next update them screws look nice and not a bad price for the amount you get.

it means alot to hear peopel say that they like my project when they dont like aeroxs

As for the screws gregzzz they are M5 and i put M6s in the front mudgard.

12. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox

Body Work Fitting

Part three: front end

The front end body pieces went on a lot easier then the rest of body work, only having to shave a bit off the middle panel of the fairing so it went nicely against the interior panel.

[​IMG]

I gave the front head light a clean and got it looking like new again, before refitting it to the front fairing piece. When I got the bike, the inner air grill on the front fairing was painted red and white so I used wet n dry paper to rub the paint off with and then I sprayed the panel black and got it back to new again. I was going to spray the side bits of the inner panel red so it would show through the vent holes on the side of the front fairing but after covering it with a red vinyl sheet just to see how it would look, I went back to the first plan and got some ally mesh and applied the mesh to the body panel which gives it the clean smart look.

[​IMG]
    Without

[​IMG]
    With

I brought a pair of new grips and also brought a carbon dash to match with the rear pillion panel and I also took the clock panel off and refurbished it to look like new again. I’ve kept the standard indicators which go really well with the front end. For the mirror I didn’t want to have a fat one so I went for this carbon F1 look a like mirror to give the front end a nice clean look. I cleaned up and sprayed the tops off the brake reservoir and cleaned the screws up as they were rusty, also I fitted new screws to all the panels and cleaned all the controls switches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front mudguard was a straight fit which just needed 4 new M6 button screws which I bought from Screwfix.

With the interior it was in a pretty bad state when I got the bike, the floor boards had bits snapped off which I said about in the last update, the Battery cover had a big hole in it where someone had tried to break into it, so I got that repaired with plastic filler but it didn’t work very well and a crack appeared again after a couple of weeks with the new crack going along the side of the repair so I repaired it again this time using glass fibre body filler, so far this has held and to finish off I got all the interior panels spayed in a black plastic type paint, this same paint is used in the repair of plastic bumpers as fitted to a lot of cars. They have come out really well as you can see.

[​IMG]

This is the bike with all the new body work with the mesh missing off the air vents. These pictures were taken before the mesh went on

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next update will include the design work I have done so far for the bodywork.

13. adz452

adz452 Member

Rides:
    Vespa T5

looks very nice mate almost like it came out of the factory ;)

14. FirE

FirE New Member

Rides:
    172 oyster card beep

:good:

15. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

Looks very nice mate, done a really good job on this ;)

16. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox

cheers guys its coming along nicely shouldnt be to long till it is all finshed spent 8 hrs todays making templetes and mock up sticks but i will post some pictures of all that once i have uploaded them. just got to look around for someone to print the stickers .

17. gregzzz

gregzzz New Member

Rides:
    nrg

what program you use to do the sticks?

18. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox

Am not making the stickers my self but i am sizeing and making sure when i get them made and put onto vinly that they are the right size and it goes perfect with the bike first time so atm am printing the logos and names on to paper and sticking them onto card them puting them onto the bike to see what they look like.

but i ues paint shop pro 9 to do all that and for doing the desgine .

19. gregzzz

gregzzz New Member

Rides:
    nrg

It's all about the illustrator, saves as paths then can upload to that vinyl software and not lose anything :) however on paint shop pro u can't keep the paths.

20. FirE

FirE New Member

Rides:
    172 oyster card beep

it looks like its just rolled of the production line in the factor, that and t3rr0s bike must be two of the freshest bikes about