vodaphone mclearn aerox project *FINSHED*

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by steve w, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

Re: vodaphone mclearn aerox project

Hey mate, this has gotta be one of the best projects on here IMO because of the time and effort of getting everything looking mint again, refurbing old parts and not missing a thing. Did you plan to do this much before you started? I bet you didn't hehe, I started the VX and did more than I planned to do but it's worth it.

Very nice......for an aerox :p

:mod:

2. adz452

adz452 Member

Rides:
    Vespa T5

sorry but ive just noticed is that some of the paint from the fork flaking already?

3. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

You on about the carbon fibre sticker? Which he has bought/plans on replacing ;)

4. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox

lol i thought someone would pick up on it. its not the paint that has come its the orginal carbon sheet , i was waiting for the new carbon to arrive when i took this picture but its now got the new carbon on the forks.

5. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox

Hi mate i orginally planned a full rebuild to get the bike looking like new plus updating the looks on the bike.ive seen your vx and i think that you have done a great job on your project to get it to the condition it is now.

6. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox

cheers jefro you beat me to it lol

7. adz452

adz452 Member

Rides:
    Vespa T5

ahh my bad ;) looks good nonetheless

8. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox

As I said on the last update I went to try and start the engine for the first time since I have had the bike and the first time since the top end strip down but due to the weather I couldn’t do this when I put the engine in the frame.

So onto another day my aim for the day was to get the engine up and running and all dialled in and running sweet , so we got the bike out filled the engine with oil put the rad back on after given that a clean up and put coolant in the rad.I hit the starter button and could hear this loud grinding noise coming from the drive belt cover and after a few hits at the button it was still there so i went and got the manual and had a look and opened up the drive belt cover and on inspection and looking at the manual and with the cover off I tried it again with someone looking into the starter clutch and that’s was where the grinding noise was coming from so I took the starter clutch apart and putting it in order has it come off and checked it with the manual I noticed that who ever had it off last and put it back together had put the domed spacer at the back off the cog and the spacer not being the right spacer it was to thick and was pushing everything out and grinding so I machined another spacer to the right thickness put it all back together per has the manual said put the case back on the I just wanted to see if that had cured the grinding noise and at the hit off the button it started straight away I really was shocked when it fired up has I wasn’t expecting it to fire so easy. So I warmed the engine up checked for any leaks, making sure everything was doing its jobs which it was.
    I took it out the other day and took it down the road and back and found that I had a small leak from the water pump so I have ordered a new water pump repair kit and will fix that when it arrives.

I thought I would post a picture of how the forks look now with the new carbon on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here are the new grips i have brought for the bike also got carbon ends

9. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172

Looks real promising :good:

10. gregzzz

gregzzz New Member

Rides:
    nrg

amazing work mate; love seeing somone with some mechanical knowlege and just a manual manage to get a bike running i wonder why u aint posted the pans lol wot colour and u planning on getting a body kit. a body kit would be nice for a MINT aerox to match its insides.

11. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox

thanks

12. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox

thanks for the comments mate with the body work i have got them but i want to build the project up so peopel can see how it went tho the steps before going straight to what its going to look like. The colour is going to be sliver i have brought a new body kit from scotter attack and will be showing how i fitted the body kit and the addjustments i make.Atm i am desgin a paint scheme to go on the body work with the vodadfone mclearn theme.

13. gregzzz

gregzzz New Member

Rides:
    nrg

u got a spankers body kit from scooter attack? but then your going to be repainting them lol

update

ohhh the theme is silver and red lol just checked the pic..lol anyway wheels would look mint powdercoated red with some red renthals like alperins would look naughty indeeeddd :p

[​IMG]

will look sick wot ever u do with it mate keep it up!!!! will be watching this closley lol

14. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox

on the next update which should be sunday. will be the first fitting of the new body kit and how it all went

15. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox

Body Work Fitting

Part one : Belly pan

Right so onto to fitting the belly pan from the new kit. The first thing I noticed when sizing the belly pan up to the bike was the side stand was going to be a problem because who ever had fitted it had welded the fitting bar on top and not on the bottom off the mounting plate. The body kit does come with a hole for the side stand to go thought but because of this problem it ment that when the stand comes up it would hit the belly pan. I had put some masking tape on the belly pan where it was hitting and draw around it once I got it right I took the belly pan off and started to take a little bit at a time off the hole making sure I didn’t cut it to much and make it look untidy so after having the belly pan off and on about 6 times getting it right which was a big pain as the side stand had to come off every time i finally got it just right and it went up with out touching the belly pan. so the next step was to make it into a nice shape and to make sure the hole wasn’t just a hole to do the job but make it suite the design off the body work so more masking tape on and draw a nicer shape in and cutting , filing and bending it into the hole that had been cut out by the manufacture. Here is the picture off how it come out .Also has the mounting bracket sticks a little bit out of the belly pan I decide to paint that sliver so it blended in with the body work and was harder to see.

[​IMG]

Onto the next part off getting the belly pan to fit. on the floor board at the back where the belly pan fits on to had been broken off ,after trying to repair it with plastic weld which didn’t work I come up with a design and for a bracket and to make it out off ally. To get the design , I got abit of card and used the floor board and belly pan to get a tracing of what it should look like and after going round it with a pen and cutting it out I had to get it to the right size so after some cutting around with card , I got the template to work so the next step was to trace the template onto the sheet off ally I had. With it all traced out and getting the right size holes for the screws I cut it out using a metal saw once cut out I drilled the screws holes to the right size and de-burrd it I tried it on the bike and it was just a little bit too big so after abit off grinding it fitted.so got abit of sanding paper and uesing the grinder to get the egdes smooth.
    This is the final product

[​IMG]

Into postion

[​IMG]

And with paint and all screwed down with colour coding screw and bolt

[​IMG]

The belly pan all fited from both sides.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the side stand looking tacky i rubbed it down and sprayed it sliver to match and covered it in bubble rap so it doesn’t get scratched.

16. LEE

LEE Member

looks smart mate it looks tidier than what most people do which is usually a cable tie

17. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox

cheers mate the way i look at it if you are gonna do somthink mite as well do it right first time.

18. Burns

Burns Active Member

Rides:
    Aprilia sr50

Looks spot on that does fella. got any pictures of the rest of todays work?

19. adz452

adz452 Member

Rides:
    Vespa T5

that engine is sooooooooooooo clean, keep up the good work

20. steve w

steve w Member

Rides:
    03 aerox

thanks mate i haven’t but i should have more up on Tuesday when i put either the rear end on or the rest of the front end depends how it all goes.Once ive done all the fitting there still loads of work to do with the design which am working on now and getting the design applied to the bike and sourcing materials.

Also the bike will be up for sale once ive completed it.