Vespa PX125E - Road Legal Upgrades for CBT

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by kain, Nov 4, 2017.

1. kain

kain New Member

Rides:
    Vespa PX125E
    Hi,

I have a Vespa PX125E and am looking to add some basic upgrades to increase performance (speed, acceleration etc) however I'm not 100% sure on the legality of some of the upgrades whilst riding on CBT only.

I'm a bit clueless of what upgrades are available but have been thinking about carburetor and exhausts. When looking at racing exhausts on Sip scooter shop, they all have "FOR RACE USE ONLY" which makes me think they aren't road legal.

I've looked online but not been able to find much info on which mods are road legal, especially relating to riders that are only on CBT.

Does anyone have any advice on some mods i could add to my scooter whilst also being CBT road legal?

Many thanks.

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I could be wrong, but its I think under 14hp. So if your mods take your bike over that, then its illegal.
    Loud pipes are more a VOSA issue really. Police can however give you a ticket for a loud pipe.

3. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    What scubabiker said. you are restricted by law. You supposed to tell dvla/insurance of any changes from std vehicle spec. I'm shocked at how many people keep there mouths shut and "don't say anything" about fitting let's say- a 150/166cc barrel kit, sip road 2 exhaust and a 22 tooth cosa clutch with up jetted carb. std 125 jet will be a 96/98 and these said people up jet to around 118 +/- ! The sip road pipe looks std but is a very good pipe, with the cowlings fitted there's no way to tell what cc the engine without stripping it down !! And I've heard that these perform very well indeed.

scubabiker likes this.
  4. kain

kain New Member

Rides:
    Vespa PX125E
    Yea CBT restricts to 125cc but wasn't sure if there are any improvments I can make without pushing it over the limit. I know a barrel kit would definately be illegal 'cause of this reason. So if I were to fit a SIP racing exhaust, would the noise be the only problem, or would that also push it over the cc/hp limit?

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Ask your insurance company what they deem as an acceptable replacement for OEM parts.
    Carol Nash is ok with aftermarket exhausts as they realise that the cost of OEM exhausts are so much higher than aftermarket ones.
    Don't think they'll go for a bigger carb though.

6. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

The px125 is only 8bhp or about 6.5 kw so as the legal 125 class restricts you to 14/15 kw there is plenty of room for improvement the simplest being a bog standard 150 barrel/piston. They are identical in looks so no one would know without stripping it down.
    Even that would only give you app 2bhp more so still well under the bhp limit but not the cc limit so it would be still illegal.
    Add on a carb or upjet the original carb along with an exhaust would probably see you app at 10 bhp.
    As said above the danger is if you make it too obvious that it is "tuned" the police might take an interest.This can invalidate your insurance and the police will then impound your scooter and crush it along with you being charged for riding with no insurance.
    Best bet is to keep it simple and stealthy as you can get some exhausts that look standard.
    You can get other barrels as said eg 166 and some are cast iron so look the same but some are alloy so are easily spotted if the copper knows what he is looking at.
    It's all down to you as cost is obviously a factor as well.

MARSH likes this.