Vespa PX125 79, Lambretta GP125, 80

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by Matthew Gibbons, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Matthew Gibbons

Matthew Gibbons New Member

Hi everyone.

I am a biker of 20 years. I recently lost my father to Cancer 68, he was a mod and avid scooter lover. I have been lucky enough to have been left these scooters by him. I need to insure them and for the life of me I'm struggling to work out rough market Value. Both bikes Mots have expired but should pass without issue.
    I would be grateful of any advice.
    I am use to dealing with modern machines with a battery e.t.c. I could soak any advice right now as I need to educate myself to love them like he did.

Many Thanks

Matt

Attached Files:

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Nice rides.
    Best bet is to research the make, models and years, then do a search on them as if you were to replace them like for like.

3. Matthew Gibbons

Thanks. I have tried the usual, eBay etc. But it's very difficult. So few of these for the years. If you have any recommendations on where to look, I'm all ears.
    I pick these bikes up Sunday. I don't want to over value or undervalue on insurance. Headache.

italjetdan likes this.
  4. italjetdan

italjetdan New Member

Rides:
    Italjet Dragster 70
    check with some local dealers / current auction guides / cap ( current auction price ). Most insurance companys will only pay you market value for the bike unless you go with a broker such as adrian flux where the rv ( residual value ) is higher due to the custom work on them but all down to the people on the end of the dog and bone. Lovly bikes btw and sorry for your loss.

5. Matthew Gibbons

Thanks for the advice. Don't suppose you know what % I should be mixing fuel for these? Seems to be a lot of conflicting information on this. 2% 2.5% some even higher!

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

The premix oil amounts for older Lambretta's/Vespa's is really a can of worms. The one I rebuilt last year for a customer, I had him fill it from a petrol can then add the oil to that every time and give it a good shake; he didn't do many miles so it suited the purposes.
    Plus it depends on whether you use mineral oils or modern day synthetics. Personally I use Castrol Actevo 2T as it gets through the oil lines easier.
    The other little down side of 2 strokes is if you don't use the bike for ages, the oil gums up around the piston rings and they can get sticky, not expanding properly in the cylinder. But if you give it a run at least once a month it should be fine.
    If my calculations are correct if should go something like this:

125ml oil into 1 litre petrol = 12.5%
    125ml into 2 litre = 6.25%
    125ml into 4 litre = 3.125%
    125ml into 4.54 litre (1 gallon) = 2.75%

If you errr on the rich side of the mix, use a can with 4 litres of fuel and add 125ml of good oil to give you a 3% mix.
    Keep a check on the colour of the spark plug, too black and it is too much, maybe need to drop the oil ratio or up the jet size slightly, too white looking is the opposite. Hope it helps.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.