Vespa LX V3 ignition coil

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Jolo, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Jolo

Jolo New Member

Hey all.

I have a Vespa LX125 V3 2013. At the moment it won’t start and is in the shop. The problem it has had since I bought it in 2016 is that it switches off when I am idle, ie waiting at the lights. Don’t think it is a tuning issue. The dealer I bought it from at the time said it was because the injector gets clogged, common issue? My regular repair guys said they couldn't find a fault so I have been putting up with it as it usually starts up straight away again.

However since last year it now also has started switching off while I am driving. Has happened maybe 2-3 times. When that happens it usually takes a while before I can switch it on again, like 10mins. But this last time, it won’t switch on anymore at all.

The guys in the shop at first thought it was to do with the immobiliser and the code in the chip. I don’t have the brown key (which I now realise is a huge problem!). But now they think it’s the ignition coil. They say it isn’t sparking.

Does that sound logical that it is the ignition coil? Would that be a reason why it switches off while driving?

I have to wait 1-2 weeks for the part so want to make sure the wait is worth it. I’m am at a loss without my bike for so long!

Please go easy on me, I know nothing about bike engines . All I have is a logical mind.