Vespa Lx 50 hates hills

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by allspeed, May 13, 2018.

1. allspeed

allspeed New Member

Rides:
    Aerox 50
    Hi all, picked up a Vespa lx 50 today, very very cheap and a tidy low miles bike. Its the 2 stroke 2011 bike.

Its been derestricted by the dealer on the first service according to the paperwork, and its fitted with a brand new Technigas standard type pipe with no restriction.

So here's the thing, I'm a fat sod, but it still goes OK, getting up to 45mph on the flat in good conditions, 50 down hill. But hit a hill, Jerez it looses revs and just gets up em holding all the traffic up.

Pulling away on a hill eventually gets me to 20mph, it just doesn't pick up the revs quick enough to get it moving.

So I'm thinking with this technigas pipe and my lardy arse that it would benefit from a slightly lighter set of rollers. Would that be a fair assumption or looking at it wrong. Its just them hills, and it could do with a few more revs on take off

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

yup, start with the rollers first, then maybe the clutch springs, see how you get on.

3. allspeed

allspeed New Member

Rides:
    Aerox 50
    Thanks for the reply. When you say clutch springs, do you mean the small ones or the large contra spring.

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

small ones

5. allspeed

allspeed New Member

Rides:
    Aerox 50
    To update on this, bike now climbs hills fine. Fitted 7 gram rollers , Nuraku white contra spring and clutch springs. I just did the rollers and contra spring first and it ran well except take off had low revs.
    So fitted the small Nuraku clutch springs and then it revs much better on pull away.

I did try 4.7gram rollers and it flew of from rest but lost midrange, then fitted 6.5 which wasn't as quick away but accelerated OK. Finally settled on 7 gram as a decent compromise. Much more usable bike now.

6. allspeed

allspeed New Member

Rides:
    Aerox 50
    Fitted a Malossi ,70 sport kit now. Very pleased with the transformation. However top speed is unchanged, this scoot really needs a gear kit. And lighter rollers probably.