Vespa et2 revival

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by briddgy, Apr 28, 2020.

1. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2

Nice one mate thank you! I guess I would have to say good bye to my electric start?

2. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2

Do you know what sort of size rollers I'd need? I see the malossi one comes with 7.2 and a contra spring? I was under the impression I may need 4.5/5.5 or 6g in the standard variators

3. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

Save your self a lot of messing around with different rollers ect ect and get a mallosi mutivar It’s set up perfectly for your bike

briddgy likes this.
  4. The Messenger

The Messenger Active Member

The variator will come rollered up for a std bike with a std pipe, if you have fitted a sports pipe then lighter rollers will need to be fitted.

briddgy likes this.
  5. Sam phantom

I have not had to do this in my experience . I have always used the rollers Inc and never had any problems only gains

I’m on my 4th mutivar Which I always fitted After I’d fitted new exhaust pipes

briddgy likes this.
  6. Sam phantom

Only time we needed to change them out for lighter rollers is when we changed the 50cc to a 70cc mid race Set up.we only went from The incl 7g to 5.5

briddgy likes this.
  7. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2

Is that including a contra spring and clutch springs? I'm guessing I'd need a uprated belt? As I have a new standard one now

8. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Hopefully getting it motd tomorrow so can take it on a proper run and see what it's currently like haha

9. Sam phantom

you may as well get a new belt while your at it, there cheap

the kit comes with a contra spring but no clutch springs you won’t need stiffer clutch springs on a stock engine. When I get a new scooter project the first thing I buy now is a mallossi mutivar They are very good

briddgy likes this.
  10. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Well I took it for an mot today and it passed, managed to get some miles on it, sat comfortabley at 45 managed to squeeze 50 out of it, takes a bit of time to get to 25-30 then it goes pretty well, so guessing the rollers do need changing to lighter ones, so tempted to get that malossi variator set up, possible need to fiddle with the carb as if I pinned full throttle for a little while and let off completely then straight back to full throttle it takes a second to do anything, so possibly a bigger jet required, I need to take the plug out and see the colour

11. Sam phantom

Yeah the usual flat spots, mutivar will take care of that

briddgy likes this.
  12. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Checked my plug and it's a perfect brown so I'm guessing jetting is bang on :)

13. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    It takes second because of too fat needle or too heavy rollers, i would suggest getting a polini hi-speed vario. Its far better quality than the malossi , performance wise too i would say, here is a video example of same piaggio 50cc stock engine with just polini variator,clutch and exhaust all tuned by me.

briddgy likes this.
  14. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    That pulls really well! I was told about maybe moving the needle by my mate, I take it I need to move it down a notch (more rich)?

15. The Messenger

The Messenger Active Member

correct... moving the clip down 1 notch will raise the needle (more rich)

16. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    Try raising the needle also make sure you got your mixture screw perfect, when you get it perfect then you can really feel how the scooter rips.

briddgy likes this.
  17. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    It's currently a turn and a half out

18. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    I cant know if that is perfect u need to warm up your scooter(operating temp), then play with the mixture screw and you need to listen to your engine while doing it :)

19. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Ok mat, I'll give that a go thank you

20. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Some fresh rubber on, Also trimmed the throttle cable so the carb shuts fully, dropped the clip down one on the needle and reset the mixture screw, seems to run a bit better! And the idle is now adjustable lol

Attached Files:

Damjan and Sam phantom like this.