Very strange issue

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by stewart1968, Jul 10, 2017.

1. stewart1968

stewart1968 New Member

Well after some amazing help last week I seem to have got the coughing and spluttering back although it doesnt do it when its on the stand.
    Ive checked for leaks and pipes or wires catching but cant see anything.
    It runs fine and revs cleanly when its on the stand but as soon as you bump it off the stand it starts missing again.
    Anyone have any thoughts?
    cheers.

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    jump under scoot and have a gander at that stand, is it resting on something when the stand is up ( photograph under scoot with stand down, do same again with stand up then compare the merkat, opps i mean pictures lol hahaha )

possible its snagging something tucked away from the old dangle eyeballs that you cannot see. also check to see if its gotta stand switch , some scoots will only start if the stand is down its usually a sign the stand switch is starting to go.

3. stewart1968

stewart1968 New Member

I will have a look. I could understand if it was the side stand but its happening with the centre stand and starts with the stand up or down.

4. stewart1968

stewart1968 New Member

Well theres nothing under the stand at all. just the bottom off the engine. im wondering if by dropping it off the stand it might be loosening the pipe from the air filter. its not the best fit to begin with.

5. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    that could be it, maybe snug a ziptie round the joint to help keep a tight seal on it

6. stewart1968

stewart1968 New Member

Well I put a new air box on and no joy. It still coughs and splutters. Any thoughts?

7. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Does it tickover nicely off the stand? If it revs well but then splutters when you rev it on the ground then it suggests that maybe it's struggling under load? Sounds like carb may be slightly rich perhaps? Check air filter and jet needle.

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Carb needs setting up. On the stand its got no load on the engine, off the stand you add load.
    Could be bad valves/oil if its a 4 stroke

9. stewart1968

stewart1968 New Member

I cleaned the jets out and have adjusted the needle on the diaphragm to every setting and its still the same. It is a 4 stroke. The oil looks ok but not sure how to check the valves.

10. stewart1968

stewart1968 New Member

Would a new diaphragm and needle help?