Variator rollers and Clutch Springs?...

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Lee Waite, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Lee Waite

Lee Waite New Member

Can someone explain what difference lighter/heavier Variator rollers do to the bike?

Also stiffer clutch springs as regards to standard issue?

And also the main clutch spring?

Trying to get my head around the way it all works.

My bike currently starts to bite @ around 4000rpm! Is this about right?
    (Piaggio NRG 50cc Power)

Cheers

2. zAaIronP

zAaIronP Typhoon 125!

Rides:
    Piaggio typhoon 125
    okay;
    The lighter the rollers are the better acceleration you have; Heavier the rollers are the better top end you will have.
    In my typhoon ive got 5.5 and 7.5 but my typh has a 70cc kit, racing clutch, lightened flywheel, boost bottle, performance exhaust and a 21m carb, and ive spread-ed the rollers out in the variator like so - 5.5 - 7.5 - 5.5 -7.5 etc so good acceleration and good top end.

The clutch i would imagen stiffer would be better acceleration but im not sure on that.

3. zAaIronP

zAaIronP Typhoon 125!

Rides:
    Piaggio typhoon 125
    oh yeah and 4000rpm thats perfectly normal.

4. Lee Waite

Lee Waite New Member

Ok cheers.

Just that I've read blogs from ped parts stating lighter rollers shouldn't affect top end?

I'm trying to get my head around it all and was just seeing if I could get the bike to pull @ 2000rpm.
    With it starting to pull @ 4000rpm then it only has a rev range of upto 9000rpm.

5. Z0ne

Z0ne New Member

Lighter rollers DO NOT affect top speed, and if they do, it's only half a mph here or there.
    Lighter rollers keep the engine at higher rev's, as with a tuned engine, the powerband is at higher rpm's.
    The clutch springs make the clutch engage at higher rpm's, closer to the powerband - for a more powerful start.
    Too light rollers or too strong clutch springs make the scoot just overrev stupidly, and actually make it alot slower.
    If tuning the variator, keep in mind - with clutch springs, start with weaker ones, move stronger.

murerg likes this.
  6. murerg

murerg MBK Hero!!!

/me shakes his head!

7. Lee Waite

Lee Waite New Member

Ok thanks for that reply....

So if I put lighter rollers in I should pull away faster? Does it take same time to get top end speed?

What benefits will I get putting a different Variator on? And aftermarket clutch/bell compared to my standard?

Surely the belt has same angle and distance to run up Variator?

Nice1

8. Z0ne

Z0ne New Member

Lighter rollers are used if you use an aftermarket exhaust or tuning cylinder. As they work at higher RPM's, you will need lighter rollers to keep the engine at maximum power. For full stock engines, the best rollers are pretty much already in there.
    For a better takeoff, you will need the clutch biting at the sweet point of the powerband(just below peak power, as the clutch slips slightly and thus engine gains rpm's on takeoff), and the rollers light enough so the engine will always stay in the powerband, as long as the variator is shifting(at around 35 MPH on the piaggio longblock 50cc, the variator tops out, all the remaining top speed comes only from the engine revving higher)
    Also with tuned engines, you will need to change the contra(or compression) spring for a stronger one, otherwise the belt will start slipping and you will lose a lot of power. Too strong of a contra spring will suck up power due to increased belt friction.

For aftermarket variators, they have a different angle, some have different size rollers for better and smoother shifting characteristics. For minarelli, the first thing i would change is the variator. On piaggio engined scoots, the variator is as good as stock gets, no need to change the variator unless the engine is highly tuned.

An aftermarket clutch makes the clutch bite a lot harder and more precisely, making the scoot launch much harder.
    The bell is just as important for the clutch to bite hard. I have seen most of the chinese aftermarket bells turn blue at some sports, due to the bell not being true, and thus the clutch slipping - another way of losing a lot of power.

9. Lee Waite

Lee Waite New Member

Cheers ZOne.....

Someone definitely know his stuff!

So I got a Piaggio NRG DD POWER 2011 what would you do?

It does 30mph and that's it.....

10. Z0ne

Z0ne New Member

First up, the basic derestriction. The piaggio Hyper2 is restricted by intake, exhaust and variator.
    First and easiest task will be variator, by removing the restricting washer between the front pulley and variator. Use an impact wrench to open the nut, and dont throw away the other small washers, if any.
    [​IMG]
    This will make your scooter get more top speed. Fuel mileage will stay the same.
    Secondly would be removing the restricting plastic/rubber washer from the air filter intake. After doing that you will need to definately up-jet. Thirdly you need to change the exhaust to an aftermarket one, as the stock exhaust is just filled with restrictors. Changing the exhaust also need an up-jet, so its a good idea to remove both the air filter restrictor and change the exhaust at the same time - no need to mess with the carb twice.
    If you want max power, you could drill a few holes in the air box to let more air in,(up-jet again) restricting less.
    After changing the exhaust, you will need to change the rollers and clutch springs as well.
    Also after removing the air filter restrictor, and/or drilling a few holes, and/or changing the exhaust, the fuel mileage will drop.

11. Lee Waite

Lee Waite New Member

Wow......

I was thinking of removing the Variator washer first just need a torque setting for replacing and do people loctite the nut back on?

After this for time being was going to modify standard exhaust? Do I just need to chop some pieces off and weld up?

With this then I won't need to upjet for time being while my wife is learning to ride it, but I need a bit more speed?
    (What will I get doing these 2 things?)

12. Z0ne

Z0ne New Member

I, honestly, have never torqued the variator nut to spec's, i just get it fingertight then use the impact wrench to tighten it up, never had a problem as long as the thread was good on the nut and crank.(But better safe then sorry, so torque it to spec's) No need to loctite the nut.
    I have never modified a standard exhaust, so i don't know what the main restrictors are in a piaggio exhaust.

By removing the variator restrictor, you only get more top speed.
    By removing the air filter restrictor and/or drilling a few holes in the air box, you get a bit better acceleration and a little bit more top speed.
    By changing the exhaust to an aftermarket one and changing the setup of the variator, you can make the scooter either calm up to some speed, or just do power-wheelies on demand.
    (Either way you get top speed around 50-55mph GPS)

I forgot to say, but after removing the variator restrictor, fitting slightly lighter rollers will help acceleration.

13. Neo Echavez

Neo Echavez New Member

Hi man. I bought a 50cc 2stroke scooter that has been upgraded by the previous owner with 70cc technigas exhaust, up gear kit, sports pro variator, stage6 medium contra spring and etc. It can go up to 90-100km/hr on flat but seems like i bog down from a stop going up a steep road? I replaced the 5g rollers with 4.5g ones and straight away noticed an increase in rpm but still bogs down going up hill. Should i move over to to the contra springs like change it to a stage6 hard? Appreciate your help. Thanks

14. Rory5

Rory5 Member

I don’t know if you’ll get a reply as he wrote that post in 2012 lol

MrSkeedle likes this.
  15. Paul1574

Paul1574 Member

What a load of shit

you want to match it with the revs. Lighter rollers change gear later heavier ones change faster. You should do the clutch spring then perfect with rollers