variator damage

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by kenneth77, Jun 17, 2021.

1. kenneth77

kenneth77 New Member

Hello. Was fixing a 2001 Suzuki Estilete. Bought new roller weights ( stock weight), and new belt and clutch. After only 1 week of driving, the belt shredded. When opening the side cover I discover that all the weights are toasted. I did not change the sliders. Anybody have any idea why this happend? Was it poor quality of the rollers? I did have 5 new non original ,a nd 1 used stock roller. All 5 non original looked like crap, the stock one looked the same as when I mounted it. The reason is I lost 1 roller, but they where the same weight.

Attached Files:

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

The rollers going like that in short time could be one of two things. They are either too wide for the variator ramps, not rolling freely up and down the full length of the ramp, getting stuck and being forced to slide instead of roll or there is damage to the ramp walls, causing them to get stuck, again being forced to slide instead of roll.
    As for the belt shredding........that's a bit more difficult.......
    Could be a cheap belt quality, but the supplier will never admit to it......
    Could be damage to either of the variator and clutch faces, even small scratches will rip the sides of the belt weakening it with use.
    Or something is out of line between the clutch and variator causing the belt to run at a slight angle between the two.

I had the same some time ago on a Peugeot V Clic. That shredded the new belt in a couple of days. I eventually tracked it down to the needle roller in the rear of the clutch pulley. Replaced it with a complete clutch assembly, cured the problem.

I also have a customer who's 19 plate bike has done the same thing last week, shredded the new belt he fitted. But he said it was a cheap one that he bought, about £5 I think. I've replaced it with a new proper belt and am just waiting to see what happens. In this case it also appears that nothing is out of line and no damage to the running faces. So if it does strip the belt soon, then I shall just replace the complete clutch assembly.