Variator and belt fitting and removing

Discussion in 'Scooter Guides' started by CA Zip tuning, May 11, 2012.

1. CA Zip tuning

CA Zip tuning Member

Brilliant step by step tutorial of how to remove and fit your variator and belt. Made for me personally by Duggedian ( many thanks to him) and I just thought id share it with everyone because if your a beginner like me and want to start working on your ped like me then its beneficial. Here it is guys

2. Duggiedan

Duggiedan Piaggio zip 50cc

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    Before you all start commenting, I know i aint using the correct tools and could damage stuff and all that shit dont tell me i know and i havnt had a problem this is the way i personally use and not the best of guides but did it quick for CA to get a little insight of how to do it

3. Duggiedan

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    Made new youtube account so vid above will be removed soon so this new video :)

4. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    Dont worry about it, i use mole grips to stop the outer plate spinning (and use a piece of rubber each side to stop any major damage). When i can afford it i'll get a nice impact wrench and use that for getting that damned nut off (dont know who put mine on before me, but it wasnt torqued at 40Nm (maybe 400Nm) as i had to jump on the wrench to get the thing to loosen).

Duggiedan likes this.
  5. Duggiedan

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    Like the say thoo before they had professional tools what did they use? improvised and found other ways

6. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Won't even moan about the no impact gun even though tou lot know i want to lol but this
    is insane. You WILL break something doing stuff like that I would put money on it and before you know it that quick fix is gonna cost you a new socket/crank/ankle etc etc

Duggiedan likes this.
  7. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    I couldnt get the nut off using a car wheel nut wrench, and i tried a fair bit using just my arms and wd40. Then in the end i just stood on the bar and bounced and it freed it enough to get it off with the ratchet. The nut was rusted to some degree. Its now been wire brushed, and everything it screws onto has received a smear of copper grease (but not anywhere near the belt).

Until i got it, i dont think anyone really spent time maintaining it properly, and when they did try they just skipped torquing it properly, and went for maximum force. The oil sump bolt is welded to the bike, so oil changes require a large syringe and rubber tubing, i guess someone stripped the thread and couldnt be bothered fixing it. A number of things were a real pain to remove or service, and a lot of stuff is held together with duck tape and cable ties.

8. Aaron Hastings

Aaron Hastings 125 KiLLa!

Rides:
    Mk1 piaggio zip sp.
    anyone else had problems fitting this variator to their piaggios?.. spacing it out and stuff due to polini not providing a spacer? ..

9. CA Zip tuning

CA Zip tuning Member

you dont need a spacer

10. Aaron Hastings

Rides:
    Mk1 piaggio zip sp.
    i did on my mk1 sp.. rang donotlink and they told me to pack it out with washers but no washer would fit over a the crank splines so in the end i had 2 file 2 washers out :confused:

11. Duggiedan

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    you mean spacer for the kickstart to work properly?

12. Aaron Hastings

Rides:
    Mk1 piaggio zip sp.
    no i mean to space the variator out from the oil pump.. otherwise the variator sits too far onto the crank splines and there's no way of getting it all tight

13. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Use the washers from the old one?

14. Aaron Hastings

Rides:
    Mk1 piaggio zip sp.
    the polini variator has a smaller back plate than the standard one and with the standard spacer you cant put the crank nut on and without the spacer you have too much splines showing and cant tighten it up