Variator advice

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by sean178, Jan 7, 2017.

1. sean178

sean178 Active Member

I'm after a bit of advice. I know enough about 2 stroke engines to get me through but the world of the automatic gearbox is new to me. I'm in the process of running in the Malossi Sport kit and at the moment everything is going well. The ride to work on part throttle is going well and the bike goes okay. From what I understand with regards to the variator is that you set the weights to match your set ups peak power / rev range and hold it there until your variator has totalled out. If this is indeed correct I'm assuming I'd be best to wait until the new barrel and piston is run in before I start trying to run the bike at full throttle to set the variator. Also, is there a "ball park figure" as to how much weight difference effects rpm
    ie ..... dropping down a gram on each weight will increase the rpm by 500 or 1000 etc or is this just trial and error.

Or to put it another way, an engine set up produces is peak power at say 9500rpm but the variator at up holds it back to 8000rpm until it has done is work and at that point the revs start to increase again ..... as I understand it, I think, the weights in the variator would need to be lighter. To save me buying lots of sets of weights how much difference in weight makes how much difference in rpm ???
    I do hope that makes sense to somebody
    Many thanks for looking
    Sean

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

YES, RUN IT IN BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!

Lighter rollers means the engine has to work harder to keep them thrown out and keep them there, fully opening the vario and closing the clutch.
    Heavier rollers are easier to throw out.
    Lighter rollers/different clutch springs/torsion spring allow the engine to rev higher before engaging the clutch fully, but if the engine is not producing it's peak revs then you won't reach top speed.
    It's a fine balance that has to be found between the take off you want to achieve and the top speed you expect to maintain.
    If you know what the stated peak rpm is of your cylinder and exhaust setup, and you have a rev gauge to help, you can balance the roller weights so the belt is at the top of the vario when the engine hits it's peak revs.

3. sean178

sean178 Active Member

Thanks Steve. That's pretty much how I understood the research I've done. I'm not after some street race scooter, at 47 the Mrs already thinks I'm having a midlife crisis.
    I've bought one of the rev counters that works from a wire wrapped around the H.T lead, have yet to fit it though. Have you had any experience with them ?
    Are they accurate enough ?

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Connect it to the positive side of the coil if you can, better connection. As for accuracy, scooters aren't known for being accurate at anything, but at least it's a guide.
    I've used a couple that I built into something or other last year, whether they were right or not, I wasn't bothered, it just looked better than what wasn't there.

sean178 likes this.
  5. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Use the heaviest rollers it will run nicely at without it bogging, falling out it's "power band" , it's like slipping/dropping the clutch on a car or bike, it's a balance to find the right weight for you to get a nice rev/pull per rpm ! You don't want it revving it's nads off and not doing anything!

sean178 likes this.
  6. sean178

sean178 Active Member

[​IMG]

The rev counter is on and working, not too sure about where it is sat but it's the only place I can mount it and be able to see it. I'll remove a few panels, drill a hole and hide the cable at the weekend and maybe look at cutting the panel it is sat on and mounting it flush from inside

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  7. sean178

sean178 Active Member

Thanks for your input Marsh. I'm still running the kit in but I'll be ready to play around with the variator probably next weekend [emoji106]

8. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I'm not a fan of rev counters when setting roller weights, you'll know when it feel's right, open the throttle wide open from standstill and it should rev/pull cleanly without any dips or over revving all the way to flat out!

9. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

What the frel is that thing:eek::confused:
    Is that off a boat or something?
    Or a fork lift?

Thought you might have got something like this:
    [​IMG]

10. sean178

sean178 Active Member

Nope, just a cheap digital one off eBay

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

It is, it's a marine hours meter and tacho.

12. sean178

sean178 Active Member

It seems to work and it was only £7