V-Power Vs. 95 Octane.

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by McScooterson, Feb 5, 2008.

1. McScooterson

McScooterson Member

Hello again from the states. I just installed a MHR 318440 kit on my horizontal
    minarelli. I set the squish to the appropriate clearance at ~.55mm, and have
    a cold cranking compression of #185. I Haven't tested warm yet because of the
    snow.
    The Manual indicates that I can use either 95 octane or V-power fuel(no octane level indicated). The
    petrol station down the road from my house sells V-power at a 93 rating.

Should this be sufficient?

Thanks Euro dudes........Oh yeah, this is the only forum I know of that I can
    do this in too... :bird: NICE!

2. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    yeah 93 should do, its whatever you can get hold of really although 95 would be better. :bird: to you too :p

3. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

V-power over here is 97 RON i beleive...

B.P ultimate (what i use) is 97 RON as well...

I have read in American orientated (car) tuning books about the lower octane rating of the fuel in the states :(

4. kyle1b1

kyle1b1 New Member

it may sound stupid but i found that bp ultimate to be the best. seemed diff with that in compared to vpower ans shitty stuff.

yeah we pay like 10x more for the petrol but is better stuff :rofl:

5. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    i've tried all the different fuels that they recon give better this and that but cant tell any difference. apart from optimax smells like cat piss

6. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    us fuel is waterd down shit by comparesen to our fuel... ours isnt all that tho.. can you not get octain booster? us fuel REALLY aint cut out for this kind of use

7. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

you wont notice any power increase unless you are running quite high compression...then v-power etc will allow you to run a few degrees more ignition advance without detonation setting in... or pinking as a lot of people call it ;)

so on most scooters its worthless as far as power gains are concerned!!!

But v-power and ultimate help cut down carbon build up in engines...
    (important on 2 strokes)

And they burn slightly cooler than run of the mill 95 RON fuels ;)

8. WOLFFY

WOLFFY New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    I find that when running on normal unleaded fuel from the local Jet garage, I then put V-Power it runs alot nicer and is a bit quicker of the line. :bird:

9. McScooterson

McScooterson Member

Thanks guys.
    I think the gas in the states is actaully more potent. Wikipedia has been wrong
    before, but here is a paragraph and link to the page the paragraph is from:

Quote:
    [edit] Measurement methods
    The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing these results with those for mixtures of isooctane and n-heptane.

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON) or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON).

LINK:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

I'm putting on a Polini "Inner" rotor kit before spring, and that should help
    to allow the lower octane rating.

10. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    same cars dytno'd in the states are down on power... the fuel over there IS weaker..

11. Mehmet

Mehmet Active Member

Rides:
    AUDI A3
    thats what i was thinking i can never tell any diffrence between the petrol :wtf:

12. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    you will only notice when you need higher octain but use regular.

13. McScooterson

McScooterson Member

Everything's ok. I found a station that sells 110 during the winter. I'll probably just mix half and half and get 101.5 octane. That way I don't have
    to worry whether its RON, MON or whatever.

14. nrgmc3

nrgmc3 New Member

whos ron? :wtf:

:w00t:

15. McScooterson

McScooterson Member

RON Jeremy. Fillin' up all the ass stations!

16. stevegti2

stevegti2 Member

a mate of mine told me that the fuel in germany is brilliant

steve