V clic input shaft seal (which one)

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Andi, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Andi

Andi New Member

Hi,
    I had an oil seal pop out behind the clutch (input shaft I think it is) on my 50cc gy6 Peugeot.
    I found this out after I bought the scooter second hand and went to do an oil change and found the new oil pouring onto the floor through the CVT casing.
    Im hoping there is no damage, the shaft is not burnt or scored and does not wobble etc. I purchased a pack of gy6 seals and there were 2 in there that looked identical apart from one was brownish in colour and the other was black. I used the brown one as that was the colour of the original one that was in (was this the right one I wonder?).
    After an hours riding there was oil coming from the bottom of the cvt casing again. The seal had come off again, I had originally pushed it in and tapped it firmly in around the edges without damaging it but it has still come out.
    Im wondering if I used the right one, and if so why is it popping out.

Cheers
    Andy

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Do you mean crankshft seal behind the variator?

3. Andi

Andi New Member

No, its behind the clutch bell.

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Mmm, the gearbox only need's 100ml or so oil, you'll need to glue the seal in place and make sure the bearing is ok.

5. Andi

Andi New Member

Well, it`s happened again. It was glued in with some oil resistant heat resistant seal glue but after 100km it made the familiar grinding noise which I suspect is the seal coming off and then it was followed by the oil leak.
    The bearing and input shaft seem fine and tight, absolutely no wobble. There does seem like there is not many ball bearings in the bearing assembly but im not sure how many there should be anyway.
    Looks like Im going to have to take the gearbox apart which Im dreading tbh to see if I can see anything untoward.

Just a thought, are there any gearbox pressure valves or pipes or anything like that that could be blocked on a gy6?

Thanks
    Andy