Using super unleaded petrol (any major risks?)

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by oliver8, Aug 7, 2012.

1. oliver8

oliver8 Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sportcity 50
    My bike is supposed to be running on normal 95 octane unleaded but I tried running a full tank of 97 octane super unleaded.
    Rode the bike for about 10miles on the super unleaded, the exhaust randomly made a load POP and the revs suddenly picked up.
    I pulled over inspected the bike and got back on.

The bike runs smoother, has a more responsive throttle and improved all round performance, I love it.

Will running super unleaded damage the bike long term?
    And
    Is it normal for the exhaust to pop and performance to suddenly increase?
    It hasn't happened before or since and appears to be a one of as a result of changing the fuel but why?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Oliver

2. Edgar

Edgar Active Member

what bike u ride mate ?

3. creamsodauk

creamsodauk Ped Ped!!

Rides:
    Runner 125 SP
    any normal bike will be set to run on 95 ron a little more or less will be fine, the only way youd see a difference in high octane is with an engine built to run on higher octane fuel

for example the ford focus rs (old turbo model) is to be run on super only as stated in the manual

the 172cc kit from pm tuning is set to run best on super with the squish set correctly

in any vehichle of standard tune cyclinder wise normal fuel is fine

4. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Super is better quality and has more cleaning additives as far as i know i dont see how it could possibly do damage?

The better running and throttle response are normal (im pretty sure i get more mpg from super/vpower aswell). You must be the only ped owner in the world whos worried their bike is running smoother :p

5. oliver8

oliver8 Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sportcity 50
    Edgar -
    im riding a 2011 aprilia sportcity one 50cc 2T.

Creamsodauk -
    cheers mate, atleast I can relax knowing my bike won't blow up (LOL) from using high octane fuel.
    There is definitely a increase in performance, not much but I'm getting a extra 2mph top end and much better acceleration/throttle response.

Ramo -
    I'm not worried that the bikes running better, I love that :)
    I'm just wondering why the exhaust went POP and since then performance has increased?
    Is it due to High octane having more cleaning additives and possibly removed a minor blockage I had or something else?

Cheers,
    Oliver

6. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    cleaned all the shit out your bike. what is done to the bike ?

7. oliver8

oliver8 Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sportcity 50
    Jonnymarrw00t-
    Cheers mate.

Everyone -
    On another note I have noticed a rattling noise coming from the engine case area whilst riding.
    It only appears throughout the mid range revs.

I've had a quick look in the engine case but haven't had a proper look at the clutch and variator as my mate is borrowing my impact wrench which I need to get them off (I hate strap and torque wrenches LOL), there was nothing visibly wrong.
    Some days when I ride it isnt there but others it is.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Oliver

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

haha 97 high octane fuel.... i always run my bikes on 99 octane, thinking of swapping over to avgas in the near future. what sort of rattling sound? does it do it at any specific speed or just certain rev ranges?

Pete132 likes this.
  9. oliver8

oliver8 Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sportcity 50
    Scubabiker -
    From 15mph to 35mph it makes a rattling noise, almost like shaking a ball bearing in a tin can.
    I know it's not the exhaust and is definitely coming from the engine casing area but it's driving me insane.

It doesn't matter whether I'm gentle on the throttle or a complete mad man it still rattles.

Anybody have any idea?

Cheers,
    Oliver

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

maybe its a spring from your side/centre stand or a loose bit of plastic? my bike is 30 years old (not my scooter) and its so noisy i dont notice the rattles!

Pete132 likes this.
  11. oliver8

oliver8 Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sportcity 50
    Scubabiker -
    That must be one noisy bike you have Lol
    I'll have a better look when I have the tools to take it apart because it's really annoying me.
    I doubt it's anything important as the bike still runs the same but it really is driving me insane :)

12. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    could be piston slap in the bore. Do you know the bikes history, has it been nipped up at any time?

13. oliver8

oliver8 Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sportcity 50
    Stig -
    The bike is a 2011 and I bought it directly from the dealer last December.
    All derestriction and tuning have been done by myself.
    It sounds like a ball bearing rattling around but I know its not the exhaust and is coming from the engine case?

14. PedBoyEd

PedBoyEd Member

i had that same problem oliver8 with my old technigas, i was riding down a very bumpy road with potholes everywhere, i heard a pop and had really good performance, then some rattling for a while from around the same place as you describe, i took the exhaust off and it was a restrictor that had snapped off in my exhaust, i got the thing opened up and welded back together for a tenner.

15. oliver8

oliver8 Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sportcity 50
    PedBoyEd -
    I'll do the same with my exhaust and see if that is the problem, it's worth a try :)
    It sounds like it could possibly be the problem.

16. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

Generally you are all idiots. You don't get any higher performance or anything with higher octane fuel unless your cylinder is running the high compression needed to get the most out of it.

Might as well just throw your money down the toilet.

17. oliver8

oliver8 Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sportcity 50
    tErr0 -
    I have noticed a difference, I have got better throttle response from using higher octane fuel and my bike has not got higher compression.
    So it's improved my bike, so generally were not all idiots, we're just making out bikes run better.

18. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

I'd be looking for some sort of problem with my bike or its just the mental effect of trying to justify a purchase.

I've owned and run many bikes tuned and stock and high octane fuel unless it's a high compression bike isn't worth the insane costs. Even if you thought it made your bike run better it would be cheaper to upgrade your bike and continue to run stock octane.

I also have a bike that has to run over 100 octane.

19. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    My zip has to run 97 and over, before i ran it on my polini sport (97 octain) fuel and regualar fuel, was no difference in power.

20. WTPchiefSKP

WTPchiefSKP Member

Rides:
    cpi sm77
    i run tescos 99 in my bike ever since i got it any other fuel it just drinks it so bad.