[URGENT HELP] My Scooter Won't Start!

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by RelentlessDan, Sep 28, 2011.

1. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

alright boys, i need a hand.

i own a speedfight 3, 50cc AC, with a few bits and bobs done to it.

i was about to leave for college yesterday morning when i noticed i had little petrol left, (okay i realized i was running low but my fuel gauge is generally so unreliable that it went from a third of a tank to one flashing bar overnight? -.-), so my kind parents gave me a lift to college as i was running late by then.

at this point, the ped started fine, ran well and if it wasnt for the fact i didnt want to run out of petrol halfway down a dual carriageway, all would of been well :p i know this, because i let it run for two minutes before deciding not to go...

so today, i fetch the petrol can out the shed and top my bike up. by now im reading 2/3 of a tank, so i'm expecting all to go well... the petrol isn't old, the lawnmower runs it fine so it should be alright ;)

THEN THE PROBLEM STARTS
    my electric start has never been great so i got into the habit of kickstarting. i kick once, twice, probably 20 times before accepting that its not going to start. :cry: i try the electric start, i try the kick start, a billion-and-one times but it all comes to nothing.

the bike actually sounds as if its going to go at some points, but it never does. im 100% sure there was oil in it, and to double check i even saw how much it took to top up fully, knowing that the tank holds 1.1L and it took less than 250ml.

What i've tried:
    • i've taken the float bowl off and checked for petrol (which there was, as there should be seeing as it was running the other day).
      i blew through the main jet to check that it was clear of debris and not blocked.
      i have checked the fuel and oil lines, both still on and both have fuel/oil running through them

Now, what's your advice? i need help urgently, i need this to run asap. :confused:cratch:

I haven't tried the spark plug and i guess that could be a potential reason? Perhaps fouled and in need of a change?
    I also cleared the float bowl of petrol and havent yet checked to see if it has filled back up since, if it has i know that its all good on the fuel side of things right?
    also, there's a pipe coming off of the carb, that ends rather shortly (probably 2-3 inches long) and takes a sharp right angle. it is not the overflow, yet it connects to nothing. is this normal? :confused:

All help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. jordanng8

jordanng8 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner 172
    try a new plug mate they sometimes foul when you leave the bike running for a while then turn it of without riding. usually is the plug on a 2 stroke anyway so try that then go from there

3. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

we just gave it a quick clean and its not shiny new again but its cleaner, is it still worth trying the plug? :/

4. jordanng8

jordanng8 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner 172
    was it black and wet with fuel ? if it was i would get a new one. check see if it sparks

5. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

mm it wasn't perfect to say the least, i mean its probably done 2000 miles plus without a change and thats AFTER messing around jetting the carb and running it rich etc, so i guess its definitely worth getting a new one..

if the engine is flooded, how do i go about sorting that out?

6. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

Take the plug out and leave it for a bit.

Theres normally two over flows on a carb. Will be a fuel line, vacuum and an oil line if it's all stock.

If it ran fully out of petrol it could have dragged some shit through the carb and clogged it up. Clean all the jets not just the main. Also depending on the model some have a filter where the fuel line joins the carb inside the carb that can get blocked up too.

Always use fresh petrol as well.

7. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

thanks for the advice :) that must be the second overflow i assume, and ill invest in a new plug and see what happens then.

it didnt run fully out, it still had a little bit so it should be alright in theory? but i shall give that a shot aswell.

and i normally do but this was a last resort

8. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    Drain your lawnmower fuel out and fill it with fresh petrol from the station , this is obviously after cleaning the carb out thoroughly and fitting a new spark plug .

9. oliwest

oliwest Member

Rides:
    aerox road legal pit
    my aerox did the same before college just try takeing the plug out pour abit of petrol down the spark plug hole i just put the overflow pipe in and undone the screw, then kicked it twice an it started, just keep revving it an let it warm up an it should be fine :)