Urgent!! Bike cranking with ignition off

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by MrXT, Apr 1, 2016.

1. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Once again I got back from shopping and i turned my engine off but the bike kept cranking. I felt something was off with the bike the whole trip back it was making an odd clicking sound all the way home and when I shut off the bike it kept trying to start until the battery drained before I could disconnect it.

I paid a garage to fix this issue so they obviously didn't replace anything. I'm assuming this is the starter solenoid? So I should replace this right?

This the right thing?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291627992024&alt=web

2. romain

romain Member

Rides:
    Yamaha tmax
    Hello
    if your brake light aren't staying on all the time
    Yes it is the starter solenoid and
    if it s Chinese bike you are running yes that is the correct part
    I just hope you haven't ended up burning the starter motor as he is normally suppose to spin for no more than 15 second
    And your last journey wasn't too long as you could have damage the starting system clutch
    Good luck mate

3. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

I didnt check the lights i was busy trying to disconnect the battery to stop it cranking but it drained the battery before i could unscrew everything.

Thanks.

4. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

It worked, replacing the solenoid fixed it right up.

5. romain

romain Member

Rides:
    Yamaha tmax
    Great ride safe

6. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Got another symptom tho, when heading home the starter button doesn't always crank the engine, first two presses did nothing then the third press i heard a faint effort to crank the engine and then the forth it started fine. This headache won't end.

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

spray some all-in-one into the switch, or take it apart and clean the fuzz off the copper, normal problem with switches

8. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

What do you mean into the switch? Like behind the tiny gap around the red button?

9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

yep thats exactly what i mean, give it a wiggle when you do it, should help a lot

10. romain

romain Member

Rides:
    Yamaha tmax
    And make sure you don't have to squeeze like crazy on your brake for the brake light to be on

11. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Well it happened again this time at work. Turned the ignition off but the engine kept trying to crank with it off, this time I learned and turned the engine back on while I unscrewed the battery terminals to disconnect the battery.

What could this be if not the starter solenoid which I just replaced????

12. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    Personally right now, Id just bodge it by wiring in a kill switch that goes to the battery to kill the power from the battery. Then figure this out.

Could be loads of things.
    Bad starter relay, short in the switch on the bars, Bad starter motor or solenoid etc etc
    Try to find a wiring diagram for your bike and go through the starting system slowly.

13. romain

romain Member

Rides:
    Yamaha tmax
    It s definitely not going to be the starter motor .
    The starter motor is fed by the solenoid so the starter motor won't take his feed were ever it want
    Have you checked this time if your brake light were on permanently?
    Correct me if I am wrong but your bike need to be started
    By squeezing the break and pressing the starter button ?
    If it start without squeezing the brake just by pressing the starter button it s your starter button

14. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

So how would I repair the starter button? And yes I need to hold the brake to start the bike but I didn't check the brake light when I realised the ignition was stuck on I was busy trying to get the battery cover off and unscrew the battery before it drained it and I have no chance of driving it home in the morning.

15. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

If I could unstick the solenoid somehow so the bike stops cranking anytime I connect the battery could I bypass the potentially faulty start button and solenoid by using the kick-start to start the bike everytime? Or does the kick-start also make use of the solenoid?

16. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Well I made it home on the bike ...yay.

I sprayed some electrical contact spray in the ignition switch and down the barrel and let it soak a few hours I came back and tested by connecting the battery and it still tried to crank as I connected the battery.
    Before going home I sat on the bike roughly to get the bike off the center stand a couple of times to try and unstick the solenoid through vibration and gave the side a where the solenoid is located a smack a few times then took it outside and connected the battery with the ignition on so I could get home but the bike didn't crank on its own this time, I screwed in the battery and kick-started a few times and the bike ran and got me home fine.

Does this mean it's not the start button but still the solenoid? Could it be a problem with the battery voltage under load? I tested the battery after charging it up and it said 12.7volts but this isn't a reflection of what the voltage is like when the bike is running so could it be a low voltage thing that's causing the solenoid to get stuck? If not what else???

17. romain

romain Member

Rides:
    Yamaha tmax
    It s not a problem with your battery , if it was the bike just wouldn't start
    It s either you keep having dodgy solenoid either you got other issue in the (exciting side) of your starting circuit
    You can kick start it unstead of using the starter motor
    A solenoid is a big relay it help to use a tiny switch to feed a powerful consumer
    The problem you have is that it s an intermittent fault for you to find it and solve it it have to be present
    To make sure it is not your solenoid next time it happen try disconnect the White connection of the two small wire that is your exciting side
    Leave the two big one (main live)
    If it stop then you know you have to look further in the exciting side if not try to get the solenoid from different supplier
    Another thing to add is I know some Chinese bike (baotian) have a connection at the back I think it s on the left hand side but don't hold me to it were you could connect some sort of alarm and with the alarm you could start the bike at distance without the ignition on you need to check if all the connection aren't damp
    Can you just confirm the starter motor keep spinning even when you take the key out of the ignition right?

18. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i would say its the relay (please stop calling it the solenoid, thats for cars), my VF had the exact same problem, i have a battery kill switch like scootz says for this exact reason, which is great, because it acts as extra security and saves a lot of hassle disconnecting the battery. get a better relay, from a dealership, i suspect the amps going through the relay are too much for it, and it is getting hot and sticking on, ive seen it happen to contacts in a forktruck when i used to do that as a job, i think these relays are rated, but they dont say anything on them, what Ah is your battery? and how many km has your bike done or what year model is it?
    if the starter brushes are a bit dead, then the starter will need more current, putting the relay through more strain. make sense?
    i used to be a froklift mechanic before i went over to bikes, so im quite familiar with electrickery if you have more questions

scootzmadness likes this.
  19. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Exciting side? Sorry I'm having trouble following you, your knowledge seems to be far beyond mine in this subject. I can't even get the plastics on the front apart with out breaking the clips, last time I tried I broke a couple near the right handle bar switch.

You wouldn't happen to be anywhere around London would you?

20. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

I used this bike for over a year and half and it wasn't until a little over a month ago that I had the problem originally and was told by the garage it was fixed. Now it happens again and again just 1 day after I replace the solenoid, it doesn't seem likely to me that the solenoid or relay is getting too hot and if it is then surely something else is faulty and is causing that.