Unlimited CDI

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by JamesNRG, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesNRG

JamesNRG New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG Extreme
    I've seen people talking about these. Do they make a difference to your speed/acceleration or do they just rev the engine to shit and eventually will make it go bang. Are thy woerth it with just an exhaust? or are they really for 70's etc? May well be worth the 30 quid, also seen ones on tinternet that can restrict your bike from when truning it on, and when you put in a code with the levers, long long short short for example it de rez's it, great for if you get pulled :yahoo:

Better still, is there anyway i can de restrict mine?

Bike: NRG extreme

Thanks

2. DUNKMAN

DUNKMAN Member

Rides:
    yamaha neos 50
    dunno , i thought that if u put one of the wires in the hole woth the white one on the cdi it did that but ,im not sure (2003 no cdi :p), sounds rather cool , just dont brake eraticly round a rounabout if there is such thing or u will end up going over the top of it haha .......
    30 quid sounds good for a cdi ,as long as it aint a cheap hong kong import m8 :D

p.s. that post u did about the clod start ,and ur bike being a slag made me pmsl :D haha

3. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    your cdi is fine and better made wiht a better ignition curve than a chineese copy or "tunning" cdi.. dont use em. waste of time.

mine hit 17,000+ on a stock cdi (red mitsuba/ducati version, not that it matters)

4. BenSRG

BenSRG New Member

I'm pretty sure I've got an unlimited CDI in my bike as the CDI in katana's are restricted. My bike revs much higher and I was told its got a malossi cdi... My opinion is its worth getting one but you might want to listen to Minor as he has lots of experience.

5. waxhead

waxhead Member

Getting the right curve is what matters. well actually both are the curve is more important a chinese one is a joke forget it

6. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    piaggio cdi's arnt limited tho.... the only limit on the piaggio 50 cdi is the scope for advance/stable spark timing... im not saying my bike was running right at those rpm's, but it saw them regardless so its obviously not got a "kill" type limiter. if your cdi has a limiter wich is BELOW the peak power of your engine then its best to get a cdi, if not dont bother... fact is if you have a 13,000rpm+ peak power engine its not gonna be any use on the road.

only replace the cdi if it is ether a form of restriction, or you have reasonable doubt of its ability to do the job in question..

7. mutant707

mutant707 New Member

Rides:
    YAMI AEROX
    I used to have an derestricted CDI on my old yammie bw's few years ago, THB never really made much differance imo, Be carefull thoug if your going to cut the wires, Some CDIs are tempermental, And can f00k the unit, Only some CDIS it can be done with so be carfull ;)

8. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    there is no bike i know of that has a restrictor where you just cut a wire on the loom... why would they make it so easy?

rumors like this come from somone who's cut a cdi to bits, knows what there doing, found the restrictor, cut it out, told somone, they told somone, they told somone, they told somone.... you get the picture.

stick wiht stock or REPUTABLE replacment ONLY when the stock isnt doing as it should. if your bikes running fine, the ignition is fine. your NOT getting gains out of just throwing a cdi at a bike that doesent need it.

billyd05 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.