universal starter springs ?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Tamiyacowboy, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    ok have a problem, went to kick start scooter and the kicker stayed down, had to lift it back up with foot/hand, went and kicked it again it returned back but really slow and soft like.
    problem is im searching for a sym spring and getting nothing but peugeot - honda sfx springs. are kickstart springs these days universal ie one type does most.

my searching brings up kymco , honda sfx - peugeot and gy6 , but some springs dont look like the spring in my service manual. i dont wanna grab a spring then find out its totally useless, i spent £749 quid getting pedro in a safe ridable state ( 9 months owning and only 3 months riding ) , only thursday it cost me 244 quid labour to get a carb jetted and set up right, and im just now totaly downhearted i dont even get time to enjoy scooter im always forking out repairing it making it road worthy again.

so yeah are these springs like universal these days ( thinking go to scrap yard pull a spring and just chuck it in )

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You've got some crap on the kickstart shaft and in the hole it passes through.
    Strip it out, clean it thoroughly, grease it before you condemn the spring.
    In all my years I've never replaced a kickstart spring unless it's broken.
    And to be honest, with all the knowledge you seem to have, I'm surprised that you actually paid a garage to do some of the work you've had done.

3. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    i dont have the tools or shed to work on scooter. its my front lawn with all the nosey kids and folks and a hammer screwdriver and handful of sockets. and the way i feel with his scoot at the moment i would just end up driving a screwdriver through the side case to examine the crank.
    kickstart bush has gone for sure the starter wobbles like crazy so may as well get it done and this devil scooter sold asap, cut my losses and get something thats not gonna cost me an arm and leg each time i ride it.

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Ah,that explains it then. Nothing worse than wanting to but not having the facilities. Do you have a space for a shed? Might be an idea. Or a mate with a big garage?

5. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    sadly i lost my best mate in a bike crash (zx6r) and with that a lovely big barn/workshop and tools, but yeah i think a small shed is on the cards.
    popped down to bike shop, mentioned about it killing the battery trying to start on mornings and the kickstart not returning " oh it was doing that when i fitted the new carb " , to be honest the kickstart was returning fine when i dropped bike off to have the carb done so its gone when they was kicking it to death doing test runs and re-jetting.

its fine he says just return it with your foot ( lol i shouldnt need to if its gotta spring ) oh and its possible its caked up with belt dust ( hmmm new belt was fitted not long ago i hope my belts not frying up) , i will get it revamped after xmas when i shove the malossi/polini variator in ( topping out at 40mph so have dropped 10mph fitting a new pipe and 17mm carb ).

shed wise its going to have to be a little 6x4ft'er . will just add extra bracing in the roof /sides and string some cross members so i can hoist bike up to a suitable working hight.