Unable to identify the engine in my Honda SRX 50

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Goldfish, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Goldfish

Goldfish New Member

Rides:
    Honda SRX 50
    I have a Honda SRX 50 Shadow/Joker that was registered in 2002, but it's a grey import and I believe it was manufactured in 1998. I don't know if my internet searching skills are poor, but I can't seem to find out information about the engine. I'm fairly sure the engine isn't unique to the SRX and would have been used in other 2 Stroke Honda scooters/mopeds. Some sources suggest that the engine is the same one used in the Honda Dio/Lead but I can't confirm if this is true. I want to purchase a de-restricted CDI (24mph just isn't quick enough), but I have no idea which sort of CDI I need.

Hope someone can help!

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    1996 -1999 named the joker in japan but EU it was named the shadow . i would be in second thoughts about derestriction is a fairly rare scooter ;)

motor wise its a crank case induction where the dio and likes had a cylinder induction for carb , your motor has the carb manifold leading down the to crank case, the dios and likes had the carb manifold bolt direct to cylinder.

timing i would have said are very alike so you could maybe get away with a derestricted dio cdi unit and just be sure your wire it correct .

oh and welcone to teh shack Goldfish

Goldfish likes this.
  3. Goldfish

Goldfish New Member

Rides:
    Honda SRX 50
    Thank you so much for your reply. I'm not looking for outrageous performance, but I would like to achieve 30mph in order to keep up with traffic!

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Same as an sfx and x8r maybe?

Goldfish likes this.
  5. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Probably the easiest way would be to take the CDI off and compare it with pics on the internet.
    You might find that it's the same as a lot of Chinese scooters in which case there will be plenty available.
    Put a pic up on here especially the connectors/sockets.

Goldfish likes this.
  6. Goldfish

Goldfish New Member

Rides:
    Honda SRX 50
    Thanks for the replies. Here's some pictures of the CDI and the plug with the wires that run to it. 20170822_183755.jpg 20170822_183804.jpg 20170822_183810.jpg 20170822_183844.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Looks like an sfx cdi

Goldfish likes this.
  8. Goldfish

Goldfish New Member

Rides:
    Honda SRX 50
    Looking at schematics and pictures they certainly look the same on the outside. I'll take a punt on a derestricted sfx CDI.

9. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Might as well do the exhaust and remove the variator restriction as well lol

Goldfish likes this.
  10. Goldfish

Goldfish New Member

Rides:
    Honda SRX 50
    Disaster! The SFX CDI arrived today and it's got 5 pins. I tried it anyway on the off chance and the scooter wont fire up at all. Not sure if I can rewire the plug or if I need to send it back, beg forgiveness and request a refund. :(

In other news, I've found one listed for a SRX 50 Shadow/Joker here, that according to the description fits;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CDI-Einhe...%3A2f1d4fb215e0abc2ccec6b66fffa156a%7Ciid%3A1

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017