Piaggio Fly50 2t issues

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by RRogalski, Mar 27, 2017.

1. RRogalski

RRogalski New Member

I'm whatever is less than novice, bought a used Fly50 2 stroke & turns out its a bit of a heap but I'm not giving up on it! 2 things left to sort - new exhaust & fix throttle. Can't find replacement exhaust anywhere & throttle gives pretty much nothing and then at about qtr turn, everything! Tried tightening throttle cable, just gives everything at slightest touch. HELP!

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    hi rogalski and welcome to ten scooter shack.

throttle possible the throttle cable is to short and not the correct one for your scooter, only thing is to slacken off all the adjusters ( one very near to the throttle body on handlebars, another close to the top of the carb ).

as for exhaust theres a few to choose from depending on what you want to spend, a sports pipe is going to start at around £90 but give good preformance ( you may need to put a slightly larger main jet inside the carb, nothing a scooter/bike shop cannot do , or yourslef if your willing to have a go ) : a few exhausts that should fit your 50fly ( the technigas trek £93 is one that has the 50fly in the fitting section ) : Ad-renalin pedstop ( remove the - after the Ad) - euroscooter parts should have something, use the dropdowns on left side of main page to select piaggio fly 50

3. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Generally it's the adjuster at the throttle end you adjust not on top of the carb. To do this you have to remove the handlebar top.
    It's usually only held on by app 4 self tappers or possibly by a couple of bolts/screws from underneath.
    Adjust it so that you have a couple of mm of slack on the outer cable.
    Basically you should have a small movement of the throttle before it starts to pull the cable so you should easily feel that without stripping anything off.
    After that if it's still a problem then possibly the carb slider is sticking or someone has screwed in the idle screw which usually lifts the slider up or down to get a good idle.
    Not sure what engine the fly 50 2t has but I expect it's the same as other piaggios so you will probably find another model will slot straight on.
    Contact some of the main aftermarket suppliers and ask but I suspect zip 50 parts are the same

4. RRogalski

RRogalski New Member

Thanks guys, I've tried adjusting the throttle cable at the grip but it's not so much as there's too much loose movement, I can feel the throttles resistance but it doesn't initiate anything until about a qtr turn?

As for the exhaust, thanks for the suggestions, I've seen most of these spares but none have the additional vertical pipe mine does that goes up into something else? Pic attached.

Attached Files:

5. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    that pipe is a restrictor pipe its a short tube welded to the main exhaust and leaches back pressure and acoustic waves formed in the exhaust it restricts the power the engine can produce .
    lots of scooters have this kind of exhaust restriction and most get chopped off and welded up when the scooter is de-restricted.
    the sport pipes you see around do not have this added pipe becasue they are road legal un-restricted pipes allowing your engine to have more rpm , the more rpm you have the more power your little scooter produces .

throttle :

you sit on bike and twist throttle, the engine builds up rpm then it takes off, usually about 1/3rd turn to a 1/4 turn then the scooter starts to pull of and your on your way ? if this is the case yes its natural its how the scooter is set up from factory without having anything adjusted to the rider.

myself i like a tight throttle where a slight twist starts to build up rpm and by 1/4 throttle im already shifting along , do you have friends that ride ? if so ask them to sit on your bike and give the throttle a twang or two, ask them how it feels , you can use the adjusters to pull that cable tighter so the throttle is more responsive or have it slackened off so its not so agressive , sounds like its a non aggresive throttle set up .

6. RRogalski

RRogalski New Member

I think I'm set now for what needs done.

Thanks for all the great advice guys!