Tyre Bead setting advice ?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by 4strokelover, Oct 28, 2018.

1. 4strokelover

4strokelover Active Member

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Hi all and admin can delete if not appropriate ect.
    Im just wondering if setting my tire bead with the (some sort of flamable) and lighting it (to pop it back on) be a good idea ? If so any advice/tips will be greatfull. Only asking because i dont and cant sorce a compressor pump and theres no petrol stations near me so its kind of my only option right now.
    Thanks in advance.
    Damien :)

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Its better to use air, the method with flames is just a for show thing, after it cools down the pressure goes out again and your tyre goes flat.

3. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

The flame method will seat the bead yes.I have used it my self. Then you can just use a Foot pump to set the pressure

4. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Thank you both for the replies.
    I know its a show off thing i just needed to do it to set one stubborn bead then use my handpump to pump it up.

scubabiker likes this.
  5. scooter123

scooter123 New Member

I hear the flame method works by rumour? it's dangerous though so don't do it!

The only way to seat beads I've found is you need a very high pressure air line, not even a petrol station forecourt one is powerful enough. You need one like they have at a tyre shop. Just walk straight into the workshop and ask the guys if they will blow it up for you to seat the bead, make sure they remove the valve first, but they will probably do this anyway. Then tip them a few pounds to keep them onside for next time.

The other plan is, if you have the money you can buy a powerful air compressor also!

4strokelover and scubabiker like this.
  6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Sometimes tyres pop on with like 10psi, other times they dont until about 60...

7. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Thank you. Ill try take it to a garage as i tried the explosion way but the tyres still new so its still a bitch to seat.

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Got a ratchet strap? You can squish it out if you strap around the tyre....