typhoon with 172 kit how fast?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by typh125cc, Jun 27, 2011.

1. typh125cc

typh125cc Member

hi folks i own a 2003 piaggio typhoon 125 completly stock and its really not fast enough for overtaking on long roads. im just about getting 65mph top end and if its windy lucky to get 60mph. i only use the bike to get to the gym and back once every day but its a 20 miles round trip and all country roads where i would like to have some more power. i have just purchased a malossi 172 kits from scooterbits.co.uk for £200. does anyone know how much more speed i should manage to get?. i must stress that everything else is going to be left standard apart from main jet and rollers.

many thanks in advance

2. typh125cc

typh125cc Member

no one knows how fast it should go? i thought this was a scooter forum

3. J4CK

J4CK Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG 172
    They dont all go exactly the same speed so it would be a guess.

4. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

You waited a very short time before making a second post. Very annoying.

http://www.scootershack.co.uk/scooter-guides/guide-why-scooters-dont-go-90-100mph-t21819.html

It will be faster without a doubt but big improvements in top speed take a lot more power. There are also quite a few factors such as your size and weight that make a difference in top speed. Fitting a large screen to any scooter normally gives a bigger top speed increase than some tuning bits!

5. aerox-mark-95

aerox-mark-95 New Member

You should get a enough speed that you want, but only if you run it in properly, also i would reccomend that you fit a performance air filter, and get rid of the airbox, this will give you acceleration, and you should be happy!

6. martain

martain New Member

Rides:
    Runner sp50
    no disrespect but if it was a little more power i wanted and its a standard bike i wouldnt of bothered with a 172 kit unless your wiling to give it supporting mods

you could of got your self a free flow exhaust lighter rollers a performance air filter bigger jet and new plug cant say i looked at 125's much lately so dont know much about if they have any restrictions

if your happy to fit your big bore kit then at least buy a free flowing exhaust do a re jet new foam filter new plug n roller

there are plenty of other options u could of done before this that would of got you what you wanted from your bike without but unnecessary strain on your bottom end (is my matter of opinion )

7. brettfield999

brettfield999 Member

Rides:
    Typhoon 172
    Do not upgrade the air filter unless you are upgrading the carb at the same time as it will not go any faster and you will just waste fuel due to upjetting.

Again what are you on about? You do not need to upgrade to a racing exhaust to make a 172 kit worthwhile. If anything change to a gilera runner/dragster standard pipe but unless you can shell out for a TDR/PM59/Malossi/Jolly Moto don't waste your time. As I say to most check the guide for ideas: http://www.scootershack.co.uk/125tuningguide.html

8. typh125cc

typh125cc Member

well ive fitted the 172 kit now and im very happy with the perfomance over the standarn egnine. before i was only getting 60-65mph on the clock now im getting 85mph on the clock. all ive done is fitted the 172 kit upjetted to a 92 main jet and put 12.5g rollers in, everything else is stock and let me say im 17stone so god knows how fast it will go with a skinny little 17yo on it lol. anyways ive just purchased a brand new OEM gilera runner 180 exhuast ive been told it will bolt straight on and its much bette than some race pipes out there?. also dont think ill bother with a bigger carb as its eating fuel as it is with the stock carb, im only getting 100 miles to a full tank :(

9. Gamble

Gamble Member

The standard Runner pipes are brilliant and to be honest they give equal performance to a lot of the so called 'performance pipes'. 100 miles to a tank? Ouch!

10. martain

martain New Member

Rides:
    Runner sp50
    obviouisly if there are no better exhausts than the standard one no one has the tuned length better than gilera like i said bretfield i havent looked at 125's much so dont really no to much but a standard guess most manafacturersd make mass production bikes and try to make a good fuel consumption that is there aim so sacrificing the exhaust is always a biggy and its very noticable on 50's i mean the lengths and un accurate sizes of an expansion pipe is just wrong

plus the way i look at it from my point of veiw in tuning if your gonna bother slapping a big bore on u might as well of spent money on other stuff id like to see a comparison of a 125 with 200 pound spent on big bore kit plus the rollers and jet so say another 10-20 now get a 125 and spent that money on it im guessing your gonna say the 172 wil come out tops but i reckon would be close if not better with a 125 but hey is my opinion and like i say not really looked at 125s YET but just got my hands on a 2005 runner for a very jealously small price

11. typh125cc

typh125cc Member

id like to see a 125 with just rollers changes and a bigger jet give out the same BHP as a 172 kit. you have not chance mate the accerleration you get from a 172 kit is far more than your get from putting a shitty race pipe on a 125 and lighter rollers trust me

12. Gamble

Gamble Member

Standard 125's with pipe and lighter rollers quicker than a 172? I must be missing something...

13. typh125cc

typh125cc Member

above dito... if it was a case of bolt on a race pipe and pop some 11g rollers in. im pretty sure malossi would be bust and 172 kits would be obsolete

14. Gamble

Gamble Member

Plus there'd be a lot of dead 17 year olds. You can buy an expensive pipe, spend money on the transmission etc but at the end of the day it's a 125. 172's are the way forward if you like getting places quick than ya mates. ;)

Spiketeen likes this.
  15. J4CK

J4CK Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG 172
    Mines a standard 125 and i dont think mine gets 100 miles to the tank lmao o_O unless gambles getting his daily fix out of my petrol tank when im not riding it

16. Gamble

Gamble Member

I wish mate! When I had the 125 Zip I was doing a few laps in all the windy roads looking in the tank and thinking where the fucks it all gone! :p

17. J4CK

J4CK Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG 172
    Then you finally realised when you was filling up it was my bike in your place :D cheers pal

18. typh125cc

typh125cc Member

just done a 95 mile round trip to see a family member today and i filled the old girl to the rim just before i left and i had to fill her back up when i got 5 miles away from my house on the way back so about 90 miles i got to a full tank (£9.78p) to be exact.. that dont seem to bad for a 172 and i wasnt going slow either i was sitting at 65mph most the way at 3/4 throttle. compared to my old runner vx125 it seems bad as £15 would last me a whole week on the old 4 stroke lol.

19. Gamble

Gamble Member

I wouldn't say it's too bad either to be honest, it's a massive shock swapping from 4T to 2T in more ways than one. One being when you realise how many trips you're taking to the pump! :p

Glad it's running well :good: get some pictures/videos up!

20. typh125cc

typh125cc Member

Yeah your not wrong going from 4t to a 2t is a shock on fuel consumption. But the power increase is well worth it I would say. I would ever buy another 4t again no way lol.