Typhoon 125 questions

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by Ben wickes, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Ben wickes

Ben wickes Member

Hi there, I've not long introduced my self, I've got a couple of questions to ask.

My typhoon is completely standard, im just struggling with it starting from cold or if it's been standing an hour or so! It will always start it just takes 10 seconds or so of holding the starter.

The choke moves approx 3mm out from the cold position, so I'm assuming the choke isn't faulty...

I've changed the intake manifold due to perishing and cracking, that's not helped. The reeds looked ok, it's had a new spark plug, and I've changed the rollers.

It runs really well it's just getting it started, I've also noticed that the revs stay as if it was warm even when cold, it doesn't rev faster on cold start and gradually slow down as it warms up... Any help would be much appriciated. Thanks

2. Ben wickes

Ben wickes Member

Anyone...

Also I've noticed sometimes it doesn't start from warm either.

But only when I use the starter. I went shop the other day, left it 5 minutes came back to it, I was whirling and whirling the starter and it would not start, trying for a good minute, to the point where I could smell fuel so I put it on the stand, kick started it and 1st kick it it started up...

3. Ben wickes

Ben wickes Member

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks

4. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Checked compression?

5. Ben wickes

Ben wickes Member

I haven't mate, what roughly should the compression be?

My bike has done 22,000 miles...

Thanks

6. ramo

ramo GoldMember

90-100 is good. Less than that does work but makes it more difficult to get started. Its not unusual to need new rings at that kind of mileage. Worth a look

7. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    battery still good?my chink would crank and not start on the button,changed the battery,all fine.

8. Ben wickes

Ben wickes Member

I'll stick the jump leads on the battery give that a try... And I'll also check the compression, next thing will be a malossi 172 kit so if compression is a problem that will solve it.. Thanks guys

9. Ben wickes

Ben wickes Member

Well, I've had the compression checked, a new plug and a good service.

The compression was about 140 psi.

We did find that a vacume pipe below the carb near the reed block was loose (the nipple) so I've had that out and used some high temp black silicone to create a seal, and to be honest since that's been back in it does seem to start better. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better.

The crank seal variator side also may be passing slightly as there's a little build up of oily dirt around the oil pump belt. So maybe that doesn't help with the problem either!

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Just because the reed block looks good doesn't mean that the petals haven't got weak. Had this problem on a few bikes, for what they cost i would get a new one, at least then you can rule it out the equation.

11. Ben wickes

Ben wickes Member

Right I've noticed a pattern with the starting issue!

It only struggles to start if left on the side stand...

If left over night on the centre stand it will start first kick....

Any reasons why this maybe? Thanks

12. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

If it was a goldwing I'd say the head is on the way out, but seeing as it isn't....................
    Check the float height in the carb, could be that it isn't letting the fuel through properly when it's in that position overnight.

13. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Or that it's letting to much petrol through while leaning over!

14. solorider

solorider Member

Rides:
    Longjia LJ50QT-K
    even a good compression figure means all is well, I have a chink scooter that wont start, you can hear it has compression, a compression test gave 130psi, in the end I had to remove the head and found things in a bit of a state, the little end bearing had broke up and some of the rollers had been pushed into the head and piston, also the rings were damaged, one problem you get with a 2 stroke and not a 4 stroke is the piston rings need to work both ways in that on the way up they need to create a vacuum, if they don't then the bike wont start, and that was the reason why my bike would not start, but then it would have sounded like a bag of nails if it had started, and it broke down with my wife riding it and she didn't mention any noises.

as to the issues here I would replace the crank seal, if one leaks it will have a massive affect on starting. but don't rule out piston rings.