Typhoon 125 carb overflow leak

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by Ben wickes, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Ben wickes

Ben wickes Member

Hi guys! Quite new to this forum... Had a few scooters in the past, then went to cars... My Nissan pulsar cost too much to run, so I sold it and have gone from 430bhp to about 10... Lol

Any way, I have a typhoon 70 and I've just brought a 125 (standard)

Had it just over a day and it's started pissing fuel out of the over flow, now I've taken the carb off, had a fiddle looked at float needle ect, put it back together, and it was ok, no leaks, but 5 miles later and it's just draining my fuel tank again... Any ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks

2. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    You need to adjust the float height downwards slightly, so that they close the needle valve earlier and stop the overflow.

Tweak the float tab that connects to the float needle up very slightly, so that the needle is fully closed with the floats raised and parallel to the float bowl mounting flange.

Ben wickes likes this.
  3. Ben wickes

Ben wickes Member

Thanks pal. I'll have a look at that, I've had to read that tweak part about 10 times to try get my head around it lol!

4. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    If you bend the tab upwards, it will close the needle valve earlier. It works like the ballcock (ooerrr) in the cistern of a toilet.

5. Ben wickes

Ben wickes Member

Cheers mate well I've stripped it back down, adjusted the float tab upwards so that it shuts off fuel slightly sooner, and I've rode about 7 miles with no problems....

Only thing I noticed was first stretch of full throttle out of maybe 5 or 6 full throttle tests is the first one seemed to cut power at 70mph ish, but only the once it never done it again?

Is it possible that I've moved the tab a touch too much and the carb is draining before it's filling?

6. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Try it for a few days and let the bike settle down before adjusting it again. The first run with the cut-out might just have been the needle settling into the seat again.

7. Ben wickes

Ben wickes Member

Seems ok, not cut since! Only thing it seems to struggle to cold now from cold, it will always start but takes a good few tries with the electric start for it to start up and tick over...

Could this be if I've adjusted the float bowl a little too low and there isn't quite enough fuel in the bowl for starting the ped?

8. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Doubtful, as you'd be cutting out at full chat all the time if that were the case. I suspect that the automatic choke needs a clean, as they can get crudded up over time. Take the auto-choke off, make sure that the choke chamber of the carb is clean inside and check the electrical connections to the wires that operate the auto-choke.

I'm not the greatest fan of them and I prefer a manual choke - you can get manual kits to replace them from the online scooter parts shops.

9. Ben wickes

Ben wickes Member

Right ok mate, well I'll check the choke in the morning, clean it out before I try to start, if no luck, I'll adjust the float hight higher just a touch and again try that. And let you know how it goes!

I want to make sure it's running perfect before I get a 172 kit or make any other adjustments.

I don't even know if it's rising as a standard one should! I don't know how a standard perfect one rides!

Thanks for your help