Tubeless Tyre Problems

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Del Sky, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Just had a new rear tyre fitted on this Aprillia Mojito that I am working on......the problem is it is tubeless, and won't seal.....it has been suggested that I put a tube in it.....the tyre size is 130x70x10, and you can't get tubes that size, would putting a 120x70x10 tube in it work ? ....a trye fitter pal has suggested that the only proper way around it is to have the wheel shotblasted......anbody got any thoughts ?....

Attached Files:

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Get the tire off, wire brush, rough paper the inner rim, give it a squirt of silver paint or take it to a tire fitting shop and ask them to run some "bead sealer" round it.

3. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Thanks for that......it may be the only option, as I now see that you can't get 120x70x10 tubes either......

4. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    There's no wonder the bugger wouldn't seal.....look at the state of this !!.......wire brushing here we come.......

Attached Files:

5. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    While the tires off, get a new valve fitted, get one from kwik fit !

Del Sky likes this.
  6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

HANG ON A MINUTE!!!!

I quote........"Just had a new rear tyre fitted on this Aprillia Mojito that I am working on"

If you just had a new tyre fitted......and the rim is in that state.......WHO THE HELL DID YOU TAKE IT TO???????
    Please name and shame........
    There is no way in hell that anybody worth their salt would fit a tyre on a rim in that state........
    If that's a mark of their standard of workmanship, stay the hell away........

Now, get one of these: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht558-75mm-wire-cup-brush-m10/
    Fits onto a standard 4" angle grinder, and clean up that inner rim

BTW, wear rigger gloves and goggles when using it, you WILL get multiple strands of the brush stabbing into your hands otherwise

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

And if you want to balance it as well:

Del Sky likes this.
  8. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    It was a freind of a freind........I should have known better......I'm now doing what I should have done in the first place, doing it me self......

9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

For the record, a ten inch tube is a ten inch tube, pretty much.... But yeah. Go slap the guy who did that.

10. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I would have to agree with Stevep !

11. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Well it would seem that you CANNOT get a 130x70x10 inner tube, you learn something everyday I guess.....still busy cleaning the rim up, and waiting for the angled valve delivery......hopefully get the tyre fitted on Friday......fingers crossed !!

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Like I said. It's just a ten inch tube, the sizes are marked like "120/70 110/70 100/70 120/80" blah blah it's all the same box.

Del Sky likes this.
  13. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Thanks
    for that, so in theory you could put a 120x70x10.....or maybe a 100x70x10 in, and it would work ?....hopefully won't need to, as the rim has come up really well.... but would be nice to know.....

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  14. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    As skuba say's, the 120/70 is width/ profile (sidewall) of tire, it's only a 10" so a 10" tube would work BUT ! I'd only ever use one if I was stuck in the desert, not long term fit.

Del Sky likes this.
  15. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You'll probably find that you don't need a tube now the rim is clean again.....just make sure none of that crud has come off the rim onto the tyre bead.

Del Sky likes this.
  16. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Thanks for that, yes will inspect the tyre closely......I think if anywhere had been open I would have had the whole wheel shotblasted, the rim is coming up o.k, but the outside of the wheel is pretty poor.....I'm guessing that these wheels are powder coated ?

17. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Just goes to show that you should LISTEN to people that know......the wheel and tyre is now at the local ATS depot....it wouldn't seal.....I told the guy that I had spent 3 days wire brushing and sandpapering the rims....he said "Ah, but have you painted them ? " I said "err, no"....he said "that's why it won't seal".......should have listened to Marsh's advice in the first place.....you live, and (hopefully) learn I guess.....picking it up in the morning....

scubabiker and MARSH like this.
  18. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

And the result is ???????

19. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    The tyre is now on, and holding air....unfortunately the directional arrow is facing the wrong way, so taking it back in the morning.....

20. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

They put it on facing the wrong direction? Incredible :oops: