Troubleshooting Baotian Retro not starting

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Nordholm, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Nordholm

Nordholm New Member

Hi,

I have a Baotian Retro scooter that has not been driven for a little over a year and that I cannot start. The battery seems to be good with appr 12.5V, and I've had it on my charger which says it's full. There is fresh fuel in the tank. However, when the ignition is turned to "run" I would expect to see the instruments active and to be able to run the lights, horn, etc., but there is no sign of power to any instruments. Needless to say the electric starter doesn't work either. I have tried kickstarting it repeatedly and at intervals (I think I have been quite persistent with this), but there is no sign of the engine starting even though it turns fairly easily with the kick.

I am a complete noob in regards to fixing scooters, so I'm looking for suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this further.

Cheers!

2. Van der

Van der New Member

First check the fuse near the battery. Lets get that out of the way

Is the sidestand down? If it is you will get nothing. The switch on the sidestand is also prone to go belly up. This can be deleted from the system by cutting the wire to it (you will have to unbolt the switch and pull it out a bit) and soldering the green and green/white wire together.

Check the battery earth to the frame, you will have to find out where that is fixed to, also check that the main red wire has a good connection where it terminates. Make sure theres no rust on any terminals and that they are clean and tight.

Check those out first and come back.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    Nordholm likes this.
  3. Nordholm

Nordholm New Member

Thanks for the reply. I planned to sell the scooter, but wanted to get it running beforehand if possible. In the meantime I found a buyer who took it in its current state at a discount.

4. Van der

Van der New Member

Ok ta, thanks for the heads up. Appreciated!