Total noon here how do find out what make my exhaust is

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Nick Kruklinski, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    Hey guys as the title suggests how do I know what exhaust I've got, as my silencer fell off on the way home from work and trying to find a new one to put on the system but not got a clue on the make as there is no markings on my silencer giving a make.

Any help is appreciated :)

2. GazD

GazD Active Member

post a picture

3. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Come on, throw us a clue, we're drowning here. What make and model of bike, is it a sports exhaust, take a picture or draw what it looked like before it fell off.

4. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    Sorry chaps my bad its a typhoon xr 125. Its been a long day :(

5. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    I'll grab a picture in a minute

6. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    IMG_20131209_181149.jpg that's before it came off

7. GazD

GazD Active Member

did you pick it up?

8. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    I'm going to take a shot in the dark here.

My guess is that it's a Technigas sports exhaust that loops around and has what looks like an aluminium covered baffle can on the end and that's the bit that's fallen off, because the perforated tube inside has snapped. Does it have two bolts or three at the flange where the baffle can bolts on? My guess is that it has two and these versions were made from the finest distilled and matured shite.

That's what happened to the previous exhaust on my TKR when my son had it.

Edit: Looking at the picture, I'd say that was a Technigas or similar cheap sports exhaust.

@ GazD

If the middle perforated pipe is knackered then he's best throwing it away. The metal was so thin on the one that fell apart on the TKR that I couldn't weld it back together to repair it. They seem to have over=perforated the slots in the middle pipe to the point where they fatally weakened it and the engine vibration did the rest by causing stress cracks in the tube.

9. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    I picked it up manages to get it on with just one bolt holding it but has three. Yeah at the flange then to to silencer that's where it came off. It wasn't my choice of exhaust it was on it when I got it

10. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Has the inner tube of the baffle can snapped or did you just lose the mounting nuts? I'd recommend locking nuts to secure the can on the pipe by putting two nuts on each stud and tightening them together to prevent them from unscrewing with the vibration again. Nylock nuts won't do it as the heat may melt the nylon ring in a Nylock nut.

The nuts will be an M6 metric thread and any hardware shop or car parts shop will have them.

11. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    Just the nuts had come off but will get some locking nuts now though. If I was to replace the whole system on it would I be better of just putting it back to standard?

12. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    If it's just a commuter bike, then just bolt that end part back on and locknut it. Compare the price of the stock exhaust with something like a one piece job like a Techngas Silent Pro before you splash the cash, as OEM exhausts can be quite pricey. It's also worth seeing if there's a scooter breakers near you that may have a good second hand one.

13. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    Cheers I use it everyday to go work so its used between 60 and 80 miles a week. Just taken some more of it IMG_20140108_193608.jpg IMG_20140108_193629.jpg

14. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
  15. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    I know it went for its MOT the day I got it I didn't realise the guy had snapped it until I got home. I will try them it can't make it look any worse

16. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    I can't fault your logic there! :D You may need to join the two together with a pop rivet or bolt and nut depending on how long each bracket it.

17. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    Cheers for the advice. Would it be okay to use with one bolt holding it in until I can get some locking nuts or better off not risking it

18. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    It will come off again - don't risk it, because if a car following you runs over it or gets damaged when it falls off, you are up that familiar old creek with no paddle.

19. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    I see what you mean common sense really, that's fine will try and get some locking nuts tomorrow after work and sort it out tomorrow night

20. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    Sorted it out this morning cheers guys got some locking nuts from halfords they did the trick :). Just one question would it need upjetting with the exhaust on as seems to bog down quite a bit when i set off after the choke has come off?