Too much Fuel System Cleaner Won't Start

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by gamecelt, Jul 16, 2019.

1. gamecelt

gamecelt Member

A friend has a Suzuki Ae50 2 stroke 1992 moped. Started up first time everytime no problems. It wasnt idling properly and so he cleaned the carburetor and adjusted the idle.

However... He added STP 200ml of Fuel System Cleaner in his tank of petrol and there was hardly any petrol in. Yes the full 200ml. He ran it and all was fine. Then left it for a few hours told me and I explained he needed to add more petrol and shouldnt have used so much additive.

Got the petrol and tried to start it but wouldnt start at all. Turns over fine but doesnt fire up. Never done it before only happened after adding the STP petrol system cleaner (at the wrong mixture).

Does this mean draining the petrol out and starting again?

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I would check the compression. 2t don't like octane boosters. (toluene) tends to heat them up too fast.

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

The treatment has probably blocked the pilot jet.
    No need for treatment stuff in any 2T motor, they are not complicated like fuel injection, just whip the carb off, strip it and clean it.

4. gamecelt

gamecelt Member

Well got it working.

Took the fuel pipe off and no fuel was coming through when turning it over. So blew into the petrol tank hard and it forced the petrol through (must have cleared a blockage).

Petrol started coming through when turning it over. Connected pipe back up on carb and tried it. Fired up when petrol went through system after a few turns!

Resolved. Thanks guys.