TMAX 530 vs XMAX 400 (oh how my brain hurts..)

Discussion in 'Scooter Guides' started by Richie P, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Richie P

Richie P Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner 200 st
    Finally decided to move up from my Gilera runner 200c. Heart breaking as I LOVE IT but there is more experiences to enjoy and I have to move onwards and upwards.. With that aside,

I don't know which to go for. The T max 530 gets such high praise but with its great looks, power and handling but has crappy storage. Not to mention about 11k Euro.

But the XMAX 400 is more practical, still powerful, huge storage, looks very nice and is handy for town and even has plenty of power and speed for some touring. Even more attractive is the price tag of around (roughly) 7,200. So with around 4k saving to be made.

Would the 400 be a decent step up from the 200 Runner? I suppose any scooterist would jump at the chance to own a TMAX 530 but realistically, it is for every day life and I won't be off touring the world on it if I am being honest. And there is no reason why if I was to do some travelling that the 400 couldn't do the job just as good.

Any advice or do you think I have made my mins up already?? (might keep the runner lol)

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i would go with the 400, its a good size, enough power for 2 up touring, and not too big so you can use it around town etc...

3. Richie P

Richie P Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner 200 st
    If money wasn't an issue would you say the same? We can agree both are excellent machines. I promised myselgf I would never buy brand new again. Not worth the price and can find one half the price in great condition. Any places in the UK that sell quality second hand yamaha by chance? Will have to import it

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

my guess would be ebay, i dont live in the uk anymore so wouldnt really know. i will never buy new i dont think, seems pointless considering how much the price drops. plus im a clumbsy bastard and scratch and bump everything....

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

even if i won like a billion pounds, i still wouldnt buy new....

6. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

I would go for the xmax 400 as well. Only way I'd go for the 530 is if I were a millionaire and money really was absolutely no issue. Although I'm a fan of kymcos and I'd probably go for a brand new kymco xciting 400 new for between £4-£5k.

scubabiker likes this.
  7. thosoneill

thosoneill Active Member

Rides:
    Honda sh300i
    Well then Richie P what did you finally buy - if anything - for absolute speed and power it has to be the twin cylinder 530 - for economy and ease of use then the single cylinder 400 fits the bill - as already suggested some of the 400 scooters from the Kymco or Sym stables look very attractive