Thoughts on this scooter purchase?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by GreenRanger, Mar 28, 2019.

1. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Basically I’ve been looking for an aprilia mojito 50cc with the old style seat. Found one with the new style seat and some wear in the chrome parts but with only 4400 miles for £550 from a trade seller. It sold quickly so couldn’t buy it as I hesitated.

Regret it.

Now I’ve come across another one 2001 this tome so older but in better condition as was wined by girl and taken care of with no marks on chrome which is rare with these bikes but they want £900 plus I have to pay £140 for delivery and also no not.

So a lot more and it also has more miles, 6350...

Have I made a mistake now have to pay for it?

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Hmmm seems over priced for an old bike with no Mot. But if its exactly what you want then it's the right choice.
    Does it start and run etc?

3. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Doesn’t look like I’m going to be buying it as the stupid sellers aren’t replying... plus they want bank transfer which I’m not to keen on...

Thing is it’s in very good condition and for these is quite a big deal especially on the chrome parts plus it has the old shape seat which I want.

I agree price is a bit steep but I got them down from 1100 to 900.

They said as far as they know it is fine plus they were going to ad the not for free if someone pays the full asking price so I’m assuming it will pass. It looks great.

Still think the other bike that was going for £550 was a fantastic deal but too late now plus it came with not free delivery and a back box you know to carry things in. It did have the new shape seat which I don’t like and I don’t think it was in quite as mint condition as this current bike going for 900 but it did have approx 2k miles less!

4. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

I do like it though and if they would just list it on eBay or something I would probably just buy it even though I’ve never ridden one before.

I wish there was an aprilia dealer that has one I could test ride without feeling nervous about it since ppl generally don’t like ppl just test riding and not buying.

I have found one guy who agreed to let me test ride his mojito for £5 so could just do that..

scubabiker likes this.
  5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I don't know why you are so hung up on them, a moped is a moped, they are all pretty light really.
    I quite like the old Honda scooters from like 95 to 2005 ish like the x8r, sfx, sky etc etc.
    There is a JDM Honda scoot called the joker? I think? That will be something you like.

milo2025 likes this.
  6. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

I’ve already explained why. The ride comfort is better on the mojito and also it has the unique Harley style handle bars you can’t get on any other moped.

Never heard of the other bikes apart from the Honda joker. I was just looking at that earlier.

I think I prefer the mojito since it’s slightly newer but I prefer the design and the dials are better as well. The sound of the Honda joker is better bough. Don’t know why they stopped making it as it was a wel liked scooter... not a fan too much if the rear fairing too long imo.

7. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Honda sfx is fantastic, I highly recommend it.

scubabiker likes this.
  8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Here is the thing.
    People say a bike is good or comfy or whatever, but everyone is different. You may find the bars hurt your wrists. Or the wide seat hurts your hips.
    Coming from a mechanic here:
    Try more out.
    And remember maintenance matters. An aprillia is going to fall to bits quicker than a Honda if you don't wash it once a week a lubricate it once a month.

9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

The sfx is the best 50cc scoot Honda made in my opinion.
    I've seen one go over the clock on the standard rings....

milo2025 likes this.
  10. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Yeh one of my concerns about ownign one is the build quality as the italians rep when it comes to scooters reliability is not good is it.

When you sya lubricate do you mean make sure th eoil level is topped up? Ive never owned a scooter before.

11. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Also, I think i made a mistake not buying the aprilia that was going for £550 as it inclded mot, free delivery and had a back carry box which i could of sold which means the bike would of cost even less plus it had over 2000 miles les son the clock!

Only downside was that it wasn;t as it good condition i.e the chrome was flaking on the bars and light and it had the new shape seat which i don't like so probs would of had to search around to buy the old shape seat which is relitivly cheap.

Overall i think now if i want the aprilia i have to fork out approx £400 more for this one going for £900...

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Any moving part needs to be lubricated.
    So the side and centre stand,
    Brake levers and cables,
    Key switch and seat lock mechanism.
    Then the handlebar switches too, I use WD40 for them and chain lube for the other stuff.

13. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

So pretty much just like a mountain bike although doesn’t all that get done when mot’d or is it just for the service?

14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

None of that gets done with the Mot.
    It should get done on a service, but all of the above is a monthly thing at minimum.
    As well as checking tyre pressures etc.