Thoughts on Giannelli Extra V2 exhaust on Suzuki AY50 Katana?

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by pe6o, May 9, 2021.

1. pe6o

pe6o New Member

Rides:
    Suzuki AY50Katana 97
    Hello. Do you think this exhaust would be a good fit for my scooter? The Katana was geared down from 15to1 to 13to1 but still makes the same top speed. I haven't done any other modifications except removing the only restrictor I found which was a cone in the air intake hose. The scooter seems to be making almost 7000rpm at level ground at top speed. I used a chinese tachometer so I can't be too sure if it's accurate. On stand I made it go to 10000rpm and stopped because it sounded like the engine wanted to kill itself. The scooter is a 1997 with air cooled Morini engine. My main concerns are if the exhaust I want to buy happens to make most of the power above 7000rpm and I can't reach it or it's too open for my 50cc engine. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I've had two AY50's
    You won't get big top end speed on them.
    40mph and it sounds like they are revving themselves to death, that's just the way they are
    Don't waste money on a new exhaust in the pursuit of power because it won't happen.

3. pe6o

pe6o New Member

Rides:
    Suzuki AY50Katana 97
    Thanks for the reply. It's true, it does sound bad when I rev it to about 9k rpm but I think I can get a bit more power out of it because I've changed the gearing so it wouldn't need to rev that high to reach a bigger top speed. I'm also planning to get a 70cc kit in the future. I'm currently considering the DR 70cc kit. Also there seems to be a DR Sport and DR Evolution kits. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the 2 or they're the same, just rebranded?

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Yeah.......
    I also fitted an airsal 70 kit, and gearup, and stage 6 pro rep pipe, sports variator, etc etc......
    It'll just get there quicker but still sounds like it wants to destroy itself.

5. mrorange26

mrorange26 New Member

What would you recommend to deristrict my ay50 air cooler 2004 as standard at the moment.

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Honestly.......a different engine, like aprillia sr50.
    The AY50 engine isn't good for tuning, for some reason it just doesn't respond the way I expected it to.
    You'll end up throwing pots and pots of money at it for little gain.
    If you can get it to a constant 40mph be happy with it.
    Sorry I can't be more helpful......

7. mrorange26

mrorange26 New Member

Thanks so whats the basics i can do to it.