Things I've learned

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Kriskeogh, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

Just reflecting today on my first couple of months being mobile and what has crossed my mind as to be wary of.

Firstly is rider fatigue. I never knew how tiring concentrating can be but after being out for about 3 hours today and doing a circuit of about 40/45 miles it's amazing how tired it can leave you feeling. I was ok out on my scoot but it really hit me when I came home how much it can take it out on you just focusing on roads, other drivers and hazards

The other thing I've noted is how quickly you can start to feel the cold. Firstly it can be on my neck between my helmet and jacket or the cold gets through my gloves but I would definitely take an extra layer out on a ride and also wear my balaclava too, just to keep the chill off.

It's all an important part of learning but it's things I'm learning to be mindful of especially when I'm out for periods of time or some distance from home. It can always be worth me seeing if a garage has a Costa express or do I pass a McDonald's where I can stop for ten minutes or so

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    im known to haul into a macdonalds for a coffee , or a local bp station for a hot chocolate and a little seat in a parking space on the forecourt. as for neck breeze , i use a alpinestars neck warmer and i can say its blooming lovely never felt any wind get down into the jacket one bit.

long hauls are fatigue building your open to the elements and always riding defensive with eyes in the back of your head, but in time you get past that and the worse area is the old rear end, seats feel comfy but after 3hrs sat on what seems like a sofa is in reality a thin bit of foam and a concrete pad lol , becasue we are seated and dont use our feet much we can be at risk of other ailments , im always adjusting legs and tapping toes or rocking feet back and forth on tiptoes to keep the old red stuff pumping round ;)

have a break is not cheating or wimping out, its common sence and more a safety thing, if your rested and warm your more likely to see an oncoming danger quicker and be able to react more quicker ;)

3. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

I'll look at a neck warmer too, I've a balaclava already but then I look outside and see sun without thinking I'm going to feel cold more when I'm moving. Thanks for the tip.

I've also learned the disdain we have from a tiny minority of motorists who feel that being on two wheels we matter less or that we can stop dead on the spot when they want to pull out.

I've also found the best and most considerate drivers are usually bus and HGV drivers who tend to let you pull out into a main road by stopping the traffic behind them

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Fatigue is part of the reason we stop every 100 miles for fuel when touring.
    That and a pee and coffee and a fag:D

Kriskeogh likes this.
  5. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Intravenous coffee injections work for me.:).
    (That & thermals.;).).

6. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Some years ago I had a runner 125. I fitted the 172 big bore kit. The number of times cars pulled out in front of me seemed to increase.
    The problem is all they see is a small moped so think they have plenty of time to pull out and accelerate away before you get there.
    If riding a large scooter or bike they don't do it so much as they see a large more powerful machine.
    I know they shouldn't do it but it's a perception thing so be careful out there. At junctions if a car is waiting to come out look at the front wheels,not just the driver, as even if they look your way you cannot assume they have seen you or even misjudge your approaching speed.
    If the wheels start to move be extra careful.

Kriskeogh likes this.
  7. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Another small anecdote. I was on my way to work one evening, in the dark, in my car.
    I stopped at a T junction and looking right I saw a car approaching some distance away and then I looked left and the road was clear.
    I then double checked and looked right again and I almost went but there was something strange about the car still some distance away.
    Turned out it was a large scooter which had been modified to main beam on both lights giving the impression it was a car but some distance away. (it wasn't)
    There is a reason you usually get dip on one side and main on the other.

8. Neil P

Neil P Member

If you think it is a problem having cars only 'see' a small scooter and pull out because they don't 'see' your speed..... then try a powerful home made electric bicycle , that will confuse the hell out of people , and you have to ride expecting it and ride accordingly.

For reasons I won't go in to, I found myself errr .. redtricted to pedal power for a few months... so built my own e-bike. this was 7-8 years ago, when they were a new thing.
    Peak power of 14kW and still accelerating at 55mph .
    It was (still is) a beast of a machine.

9. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

After a few ride outs it's amazing how much of a nuisance flies are. Twice in two days I'm clearing the little blighters off my visor

Also the cost of buying a new scooter. Services at 300km, 1000, 3000 and 5000 has cost me quite a bit and certainly when I look at another scooter I would buy something a year or two old

10. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

After the fist few services just to keep the warranty it would pay to learn to do it yourself.
    Always handy in case of breakdowns.

Kriskeogh likes this.
  11. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

Something I'm going to explore