Theory, Module 1&2.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SliderTom, Apr 16, 2016.

1. SliderTom

SliderTom Member

Rides:
    Yamaha slider
    As the title, mainly what is to be expected from theory, i have the latest dvd disc. Practicing regularly throughout the weeks.

Im ok with the riding part been on bikes since day dot. Its just getting my head in to gear with the theory. Im not a huge fan of all these test conditions etc, so anyone with a little heads up or some advice, it will be appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

2. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    The theory/Hazard perception bollocks is actually easier than the apps etc, its basic stuff and mostly common sense. Download a load of apps and practice at them. You'll do fine.

Mod 1 - Plenty of videos on YouTube about it really, its not too hard BUT your instructor should be able to take you to a test center to practice mod1 or at least have a pad big enough to do a mock mod1 on. Its basically making sure you can control the bike and move it about. But make sure on the avoidance bit you get your speed up, dont hang around, you NEED to be doing the speed the examiner wants (i forget what that speed is) and you dont have much space to get up to speed so use your gears, I had to go round twice before I got the speed needed.

Mod 2 - Mirrors, Mirrors, Mirrors, Lifesavers, Lifesavers, Livesavers. Forget these, forget about passing. Over exaggerate your mirror checks and your lifesavers, Make sure that the examiner can clearly see you looking in your mirrors, Move your head and look into them.

If you go to take the wrong turn or wrong exit etc dont worry about it, dont panic and switch lanes last minute. Just carry on and find a safe place to turn around, go around the block or something - the examiner will usually get you back on track. What they want to see is that you can ride safely. On your independent ride just follow road signs, dont go the route you THINK you know, ALWAYS follow the road signs, thats what the examiner wants you to do.

Keep it nice and smooth, smooth pull offs, smooth acceleration, smooth cornering, smooth stops, Leave plenty of time for braking when it comes to traffic lights. Ride the bike as if you have an egg on the pillion seat that you really dont want to crack. Always engine brake, youd be surprised how many people forget to engine brake on a bike.

Make sure you are comfortable with your clothing and your bike, if you arent comfortable you arent going to be concentrating. Get proper gear that fits properly, that isnt too tight or too loose. Dont forget to strap your helmet up and dont forget to strap your gloves up.

Remember only a fool brakes the two second rule.

Other than that, Just listen to your instructor. If you arent using one, I HIGHLY recommend that you do. No matter how much riding experience you have, theres alot to learn and they will get you ready for the test.

Dont go into it thinking you know it all about riding but relax and have fun.

Good luck :)

SliderTom likes this.
  3. SliderTom

SliderTom Member

Rides:
    Yamaha slider
    Everyone has said this with the theory. I think its just me and my nerves. The only reason i didnt go in for my test when i was 18 was simply i never had the money at the time.

Yeah i understand all that business with the riding, even with a cbt i go there and go in to be educated, im no perfect rider, who is ?

Ive heard mod 1 from my test people this is their words "its essentially a cbt with a bit more depth to it". And you are right on the speed, i believe its 32mph, i may be wrong totally, ive only picked this up, like you say through youtube videos.

You are correct on the observations too, ive had that drilled in to my head over the years from the cbt's ive taken. And as for gear, i never have rode without it, i enjoy having skin, yeah i mainly wear an armored textile, touch wood ive not been down he tarmac as of yet in all my time riding. Ive had motocross accidents but thats a different ball game.

When it comes to the modules, i will do everything they ask of me, and i do expect to be faulted, i'll be the first to admit that. I just need to get in and go with a clear head.

And how about extra training after ive passed the test? Are there any courses i can get in to, because i want to be at the best of my abilities on the road.

I only know of the advanced rider thing, but if there are more, i want to do them, because im planning to eventually head in to other countries and ride.

But thanks again for the advice, you gave some great pointers.

4. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    With regards to extra training, wait.

Get atleast a year under your belt on a big bike, learn how to ride your bike, learn what it feels like, get a bit more confident on it but take it easy for the first year. then go and do advanced riding course.

I did the advanced course straight away and honestly it did nothing for me, If anything it made me more cocky than I was beforehand thinking im an advanced rider i can ride. NO. Any good instructor will tell you to wait a year. I did the course again after a year and I was amazed at how much I learnt.

It is worth asking local plod if they run a ride safe course that anyone can join, Its something that I did and its not just for people who were caught speeding. You do some classroom stuff and then you go out on a road ride intercomed with a police rider who will assess your riding and then give you handy hints and tips to help improve positioning, speed through corners etc etc, My pillions noticed a difference in my riding after I went and did that.

Also if you decide to go out with friends who have had their licences for a while dont push yourself just to keep up with them. Its not worth it. If theyre good friends and good riders they wont leave you in the dust. Ride to YOUR ability not theirs.

Most of the advice ive given here is based off of my mistakes that I made :rolleyes:

5. SliderTom

SliderTom Member

Rides:
    Yamaha slider
    Ah so thats good to know then, i'll definitely head down the station when i have my licence sorted, i'll also have a word with my trainer about waiting too. Looking at it now, it seems a good idea to go out and just do my own thing for a year or so.

Plus i dont do group rides, its just not my thing anymore. I prefer to go out by myself, and enjoy my ride, hooligan days are long behind me.

scootzmadness likes this.
  6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i did mine not too long ago, my biggest fear was riding the wrong side of the road, as i live in norway but took my test in the uk....
    theory is piss easy, i didnt even practice for it, i just went and did it.
    best advice for mod 1, is treat it all like as if its not a closed area, just think of it as actually out on the street, you know the gate is closed, but the examiner is wanting you to think otherwise, so just check for non existant cars, right from the start, do your obs....